Thread: Ulph

ausiejude

Default Ulph

I haven't been around much as I have a few years ago been diagnosed with a very rare condition that is calcifying my brain, sadly and I forget all the time. It appears that I have had this since 1990 but it was undiagnosed. I am sorry if I haven't answered any emails but will definitely get around to it hopefully soon.

I have come across a name as my g.g.g grandmother was born in Buxton, or Barton in Norfolk about 1792, and I have been trying to find out more information about her. Her name was Mary Ulph and she married Robert Bond c 1820. Robert was a Schoolmaster and she had 6 children with him......Mary born 1820 Thomas born 1821, Hilary born 1823, Margaret Sarah born 1825, Robert born 1827 and Susan born 1830.

Susan married Thomas Pinnington and emigrated to Australia, with him. Thomas & Susan spent a short while in Melbourne awhile after their 3 children were born. While there her sister Mary emigrated to Australia (she had married a Mr Butcher) but after he passed away. Mary then acted as their housekeeper and after Susan died he married Mary. No one in our family knew that the two were sisters until I got Mary's death certificate.

I haven't been able to find out when she died or whom her parents were - hence this email. In the 1851 census both Mary Bond aged 59, and Elizabeth Pinnington aged 52 were both residents of Morden College and both were widows. I have since found out that they both were pensioners, but in the 1861 Census it appears that Mary was with her daughter Margaret Sarah Malyon in Chertsey, along with Margaret's 2 children. I have tried to find out when and where Mary died so I can get her death certificate but I have come up against a brick wall each time.

Any advice would be gratefully accepted.
    Kind Regards,
    Judy (Ausiejude) Australia

Welcome back, Judy.

I have moved your query to the "General English Family History Forum" because it seems to cover more than one county, and "Navigating Brit-Gen" isn't really intended for research questions. You're more likely to find folk who can help here.

ausiejude

Default Ulph

Thanks a million Lesley,
    It is much appreciated - my brain is very scrambled at present but at least i now have an answer - it wasn't great for the 25 years that I didn't know what was wrong, not that it is an excuse but anything that anyone helps me to do is very much appreciated.

Kind regards,
    Judy

Excuses are not necessary - members come here when the time is right for them. I found that a diagnosis (with a different problem) didn't make things better, but it made things easier to deal with.
    I assume that you're keeping a notebook - the one in my handbag gets all sorts of unrelated stuff!

Which surname was Mary using in the 1861 census? Maiden or married?

Growing old Disgracefully

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    Excuses are not necessary - members come here when the time is right for them. I found that a diagnosis (with a different problem) didn't make things better, but it made things easier to deal with.
    I assume that you're keeping a notebook - the one in my handbag gets all sorts of unrelated stuff!

Which surname was Mary using in the 1861 census? Maiden or married?
    The Mother Mary was Mary Bond in the 1861 census with her Daughter Margaret S Malyon (1st Husband)- Widow - Lodging House Keeper
    Mary Bond - Mother
    Henry Malyon - Son
    Elizabeth Malyon - Daughter
    + 3 Lodgers

ausiejude

Default Ulph

Thank you Lesley........I too found that last night but couldn't find where she had married Malyon, but was glad to find her mother with her and also that her mother resided usually at Morden College. From there I found that Margaret Sarah had married Albert Bunyan in 1861, and Margaret Sarah died in 1886 and he remarried a Rachel Ulph. From there it was easy to trace Rachel's family but it probably wont be as easy to trace Mary's tree. Thanks again Lesley.
    Regards,
    Judy

ausiejude

Mary was using the surname of Bond in the 1861 census, but I don't think she used any other surname. On checking my files I found that when Thomas Pinnington and his wife Susan Bond emigrated to Australia both their fathers had passed away. I found out that Mary's maiden name was Ulph from both Susan Pinnington's death certificate as well as Mary Pinnington's as well, no -one realised that both of Thomas's wives were sisters till I got Mary's death certificate.