Loves to help with queries

Default 1851 Melton Mowbray census

Trying to find a Sarah Smith, born 1776 Coleorton, Leicestershire in the 1851 census Melton Mowbray. The 1861 census has her living Melbourne St., Melton Mowbray with Where Born as Calloton, Leicester (presume Coleorton). Not that she would necessarily be in Melton Mowbray for the 1851 census but can't find her elsewhere and there's a possible death/burial for her Oct. 1862 Melton Mowbray. Finding her in that census would make me a little more confident that this is the Sarah Smith I need before plunging in to purchase a d/c. Many thanks....Lizzie

The census recorded people sleeping at a given address on census night, not their normal address. If she was away for they night, she will have been recorded wherever she was visiting. Do you know where other family members were living? Are you sure she didn’t marry?

Adding the Smith surname to the range of possible spelling variations on her birthplace, you have my deepest sympathy. When you have an hour or two, work your way through the whole county.

BTW, when I lost a Sarah some time back, I ended up kicking myself when she turned up as Sara...

Loves to help with queries

Thanks Lesley, Sarah Smith was married. Her single name was Sarah Sharp(e). There were quite a few children and I have spent the past few hours attempting to find marriages, census etc for each of them but am up against an obstacle called "Smith" and some very common given names. She was living with her daughter in the 1841 census in Coleorton. I think I will try your suggestion and work my way through the whole county. Thank you for that suggestion.