Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Joseph Delaney married in Sydney, 1895

Alice Maud Delaney was born 19 March 1901, Linwood (Christchurch, New Zealand).
    Her birth certificate indicates that her parents were Joseph Delaney, a painter, aged 34, born Lancashire and
    Cecilia Delaney formerly Burke (as near as I can make out), aged 31, born Dublin.
    This certificate indicates that Joseph and Cecilia were married in Sydney, March 1895

Cecilia Delaney appears in New Zealand BMD indexes only once (1901 birth index for Alice Maud). Electoral rolls for Christchurch show Joseph and his wife at the address given on Alice's birth certificate, but the wife's name is Mary.

I am trying to locate Joseph Delaney's Sydney marriage as a check on details before venturing into Lancashire and Dublin records.

I would be grateful of any assistance
    daryl

Brick wall demolition expert!

You can search for NSW records at https://familyhistory.bdm.nsw.gov.au...story/search?6

I did a quick check but I couldn't see it.

There were four Joseph Delaneys born in Lancashire between 1860-64 : two of them plain Joseph's and the other two have other names. However, with only 4 individuals it should be fairly straight forward to eliminate people from your search.

Thanks Megan. No I could see any match either.

Yes four Josephs should not be a huge task to sort through

Thanks again
    daryl

Starting to feel at home

Do you not have Joseph's death certificate /print out? He may have remarried (Mary?). The printout will show his spouse/s and progeny.

from FMP:
    You can order a printout or certificate from the New Zealand Births, Deaths & Marriages website. A printout is a scanned image of the original record. A certificate is an official document that will include registered information, however, it will contain less information than a printout. These documents may provide additional information such as your ancestor’s cause and place of death, profession, parents’ names, burial and birth details, birthplace and duration in New Zealand, and spouse and progeny.

Starting to feel at home

FMP has this on New Zealand Death Index

Joseph Delaney b1866 d1956

The only one within the right age range.

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by DBCoup View Post

Cecilia Delaney appears in New Zealand BMD indexes only once (1901 birth index for Alice Maud). Electoral rolls for Christchurch show Joseph and his wife at the address given on Alice's birth certificate, but the wife's name is Mary.
    Whats the earliest year on electoral reg is Mary showing up? Might help to narrow down some years to see if there is a death reg. or divorce for Joseph and Mary is a second marriage.

Knowledgeable and helpful

It is a long shot but perhaps Joseph and Cecilia are not their first names. I found a marriage in Lithgow of an Alfred J Delaney to an Eliza C Sheppeard in 1897. My grandmother dropped her first name after coming to NSW from Tasmania and I have another relative who changed their surname as they (that whole family) got off the ship in Australia.

Thanks for your replies katarzyna, shippo, and Wayne
    One problem solved. Both the death and marriage certificates of Alice Maud Delaney list her mother as Cecilia Mary Delaney, nee Burke.

I have made some progress, I think ...
    The problem with NZ BMD Indexes was that I could not find a death for Cecilia Delaney, at all, and once I had Alice Maud (Delaney) Barnett's birth, marriage, and death certificates I could not find a Mary Delaney whose age at the time of death tallied with the indications on Alice's certificates.
    Then I turned up a death notice in the Press, 13 August 1923.
    THE Funeral of the late Mrs Mary Delaney will leave her residence, 103 Strickland street, Spreydon, for the Sydenham Cemetery, on Tuesday, the 14th inst., at 2 p.m.
    From previous work I had done on the Delaney's with Directories and Electoral rolls I immediately recognised the Strickland street address - In 1928 Alice Maud Barnett is listed at 103 Strickland street, as is Joseph Delaney
    So, with confidence, I ordered the death certificate for Mary Delaney who died in 1923, at the age of 48 (according to the index) which doesn't tally with the age given on Alice's birth certificate.
    And that is where the waters become more muddied
    Mary Delaney's parents are given as George Luney, labourer, and no forename given Luney. Mary was born in Dublin, Ireland, and she had been in New Zealand 35 years. [I suspect this should be 25]
    Mary was married in Sydney, NSW, at the age of 21, to Joseph Delaney
    Ages of issue if living F 25, 23. So Alice had an older sister - that is new.
    Buoyed by this I ordered the death certificate for Joseph Delaney, who died in 1956 aged 90 - at least this tallied with Alice's birth certificate. Alas his parents are given as Delaney and Delaney - not very helpful
    However his place of birth is given as Liverpool, England, but his length of time in New Zealand is somewhat confusingly given as 50 years. Just to muddy the waters again, his place of marriage is given as Christchurch. His age at the time of his marriage is given as 30 and he married Cecilia Burke. And, again, two living issue F 58, 54.
    So progress, yes, but a lot of unravelling to be done.

Tony Moore

Default DELANEY Cecilia & Joseph

Dear Daryl,

Here are all the "JOSEPHs" and "CECILIAs" with surname DELANEY on the 1901 / 1903 Electoral Roll CD. It will be the closest you will probably get to a census for that era

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
    Sex. Surname. FirstNames. State. Address. Town. Roll Number. Division. SubDivision. Occupation.

M. Delaney. Joseph. NSW. 334 Liverpool Street. Darlinghurst. 1573. East Sydney. Bligh. Saddler

F. Delaney. Cecilia Gertrude. NSW. Canowindra.145. Macquarie. Canowindra. Domestic Duties

M. Delaney. Celsus. NSW. Coonigal. 80. Canobolas. Manildra. Grazier

M. Delaney. Joseph. NSW. Seymour Street. Bathurst. 1093. Macquarie. Bathurst. Blacksmith

M. Delaney. Joseph. NSW. Wellingrove. 32. New England. Wellingrove. Labourer

M. Delaney. Joseph. WA. Mulie Station. Mount Magnet. 106. Coolgardie. Mount Magnet. Labourer

M. Delaney. Joseph. NSW. Inkerman Street. Parramatta. 1342. Parramatta. Parramatta. Blacksmith

M. Delaney. John Joseph. NSW. Byng Street. East Orange. 252. Canobolas. East Orange. Carpenter

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
    Cecilia Gertrude is most likely the person of interest. She was living in the Central West NSW town of Canowindra circa 1901-3

The most likely contenders for 1901-3 Joseph will be the one living in Seymour Street Bathurst, or the John Joseph living in Byng St East Orange

Use Google Maps to check the (relative) closeness of Bathurst, Orange, Canowindra and Canobolas

I would tend to ignore the Joseph in Mt Magnet, Coolgardie, Western Australia who is likely a labourer on a mining site.

I would put the JOSEPHs in Welligrove, Darlinghurst, and Parramatta unless you have more details of their trade.

It is possible that the same JOSEPH may be at two locations because of the time factor involved in composing the electoral roll and/or land ownership.

Take the above information at face value. What-you-see-is-what-you-get!!!

Happy Hunting,

Tony Moore
    (Castle Hill NSW Australia)
    tony-moore AT bigpond DOT com

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
    Quote Originally Posted by DBCoup View Post
    Alice Maud Delaney was born 19 March 1901, Linwood (Christchurch, New Zealand).
    Her birth certificate indicates that her parents were Joseph Delaney, a painter, aged 34, born Lancashire and
    Cecilia Delaney formerly Burke (as near as I can make out), aged 31, born Dublin.
    This certificate indicates that Joseph and Cecilia were married in Sydney, March 1895

I am trying to locate Joseph Delaney's Sydney marriage as a check on details before venturing into Lancashire and Dublin records.

I would be grateful of any assistance
    daryl
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 28-04-2019 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Email address amended to deter spammers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast