Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thank you. I had given up too soon perchance. Had exactly the search form that you and Grisel linked to. Have tried again and will now spend this wet afternoon browsing all of those three thousand.
    Cheers bEd
    www.jeaned.net
    [url]https://edmck.blogspot.co.uk[url]

Famous for offering help & advice

I can't see a will for Elizabeth on SP, but there appear to be wills for the nephew John MacKie(1882) and his wife Thomason(1886) who were with Elizabeth on the 1851 census.

Dumfries and Galloway Standard, Wed, 12 Nov 1851
    Deaths
    "At Wigtown, on the 4th instant, Elizabeth M'kie, only sister of William M'Kie, Esq., of Knowe, Ayr, aged 93 years".
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    Deaths
    "At Wigtown, on the 4th instant, Elizabeth M'kie, only sister of William M'Kie, Esq., of Knowe, Ayr, aged 93 years".
    That's a good find!

I think from looking at various baptisms on FS and SP that Elizabeth's brother William is the father of John in Wigtown in 1851 census, married to Thomason.
    Elizabeth and William plus other siblings may possibly be the children of William McKie and Jannet Heron, (tho Elizabeth's age is a little out). In which case the death of 82 year old William McKie mmn Heron, in Stair Ayrshire in 1857 available on SP may possibly be Elizabeth's brother William.

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    Deaths
    Thank you very much for that. It gives me the date I have been looking for. Except of course! I think William had three sisters!!!
    www.jeaned.net

I have had most of the family Ok, was just looking for a death for Elizabeth to test the relationship with William. But this seems to be coming together fine. the only doubtful thing was the 1841 census which I am now happy is her even though the age is hopelessly wrong.
    thanks to everyone for their suggestions. William who died in Ayr had a wife who was variously Grizzel or Grace maiden surname Coultron and other variants !

regards Ed
    www.jeaned.net

That's good that Elizabeth's death has fitted in nicely for you. Great when things come together.
    Btw Grizzel/Grizel/ Grisel/Grace is a popular name in my family too. Grizel seemed to become unfashionable at some point and changed to Grace. Perhaps the next generation will reintroduce it.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12