Thread: DNA advice

apowell

Default DNA advice

I've just received my DNA results and as expected 94.8% British but 5.2% Asia (Northwest Caucasus) which was a total surprise. How accurate is 5.2 %? I have found via documentation two Irish family lines and the DNA results stated 7.1% Irish. I'm not sure how I could follow up on this Northwest Caucasus line? Any ideas?

Kind regards
    Adrian

Loves to help with queries

I don't know which test you used, but the Living DNA one, which is the one I went with, is based on the similarity of segments of your DNA to other regional groups in the last 10 generations (250 years or so?). I can't trace any of my direct lines back beyond 6 generations, so any surprises that turned up (none did, in my case) would have been impossible to pin down. My wife, for example, has 12.5% Scandinavian and 12.5% Germanic in the last 10 generations, but no idea of where that comes from. Some people obviously travelled a lot further and more often than we previously thought! Sorry, that's not much help, is it?

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by apowell View Post
    I've just received my DNA results and as expected 94.8% British but 5.2% Asia (Northwest Caucasus) which was a total surprise. How accurate is 5.2 %? I have found via documentation two Irish family lines and the DNA results stated 7.1% Irish. I'm not sure how I could follow up on this Northwest Caucasus line? Any ideas?

Kind regards
    Adrian
    The ethnicity results are slightly more accurate than throwing a dart at a map on the floor.
    Cheers
    Guy
    As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.