Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    TonyHarrison1000

Default Augusta Taylor/Tayler born 1812

In 1841 and 181 Augusta Taylor is living in St Philip and Jacob Bristol with three children the youngest of which was James born 1839 I ordered the only certificate for a James Taylor born in the Clifton Union (which included St Philip and Jacob parish) this was for James Augustus Taylor this showed the father as Samuel Wakefield Taylor a Sailor but the most interesting fact was the Mother Augusta Sophia Taylor late Taylor formerly Tayler This meant Augusta had previously been married to a Taylor both Harriet and Sophronia Augusta Sophia Taylor at their baptisms as adults and on all their marriage certificates had shown their father as John Taylor a Sailor or Mariner.
    I have been unable to find any marriage for Augusta to John Taylor or Samuel Wakefield Taylor and any help to find these would be appreciated.

Interesting. It does look as though she had 2 husbands, both called Taylo(e)r. 2 children with John and then 1 with Samuel.
    Assuming for a minute that John died, leaving her with 2 babies, it would have been fairly common at that team to remarry fairly quickly, often to a cousin or more distant relative. In your place, I'd try and investigate the two Mr Taylors. They could even have been ship mates.

Of course the marriages probably happened pre-certification in 1837, so you need to try for Church records.

I see that Family Search has (presumably) another Augusta Sophia Taylor married to John Taylor and having Eliza in 1809 in Portsea and Maria in 1814, also in Portsea. All very odd...

TonyHarrison1000

Thank you Lesley for your thoughts. Augusta's daughter Harriet was born 1829 and Sophronia in 1835 so presumably John was alive 1834 so narrows down the timescale for her marriage to Samuel Wakefield Taylor so possibly they were related. However apart from the entry on the birth certificate unable to find any likely candidates for Samuel as searches for him bring up nothing

If he was a seaman, he might not even have been a local, but maybe off a ship that came in regularly.... have you tried an England-wide search?

TonyHarrison1000

Yes Lesley have tried country wide searches on Ancestry, Find my Past and Family search no Samuel Wakefield Taylor

Knowledgeable and helpful

Have you noticed that Augusta's condition on the 1851 Census is recorded as 'unmarried'? If true it would explain the absence of marriage records!

I'm probably going off on a flight of fancy here but maybe Augusta 'invented' a name for the father when registering James's birth. For the sake of propriety and her son, she would want to appear married. Maybe the father's name was Samuel WAKEFIELD and she added TAYLOR!

That doesn't explain why she gave her own name as TAYLOR late TAYLOR formerly TAYLER.

Is this Augusta's death record?
    Augusta Sophia TAYLOR d. 1853 Cheltenham Q4 6A 238

If so, have you got the death certificate? There may be some clues on it.

Also, did both Harriet and Sophronia marry after their mother's death? They may have had to guess at their father's first name.

Did James Augustus marry?

Peter

Famous for offering help & advice

The 1851 census shows her as unmarried and living with her father, James Taylor. I would therefore assume that all three children were illegitimate.

The 1841 doesn't show marital status but again shows her with father James and presumed mother, Susanna. Susanna, Augusta & Harriet not born in county, although the 1851 says otherwise.

I would perhaps be taking a closer look at the Samuel Wakefield who married Sarah Atherton in 1833. In 1851 he is a Beerhouse Keeper & Bargeman

James Taylor married Susanna Shaw in 1822, but Augusta was born around 1812 so Susanna may be James' second wife.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by elsinore View Post
    Have you noticed that Augusta's condition on the 1851 Census is recorded as 'unmarried'? If true it would explain the absence of marriage records!

I'm probably going off on a flight of fancy here but maybe Augusta 'invented' a name for the father when registering James's birth. For the sake of propriety and her son, she would want to appear married. Maybe the father's name was Samuel WAKEFIELD and she added TAYLOR!
    I hadn't got as far as checking the census records but my first thought was that perhaps she'd invented a husband. Good thinking re the possible father's name, because we've often seen a middle name for the child which turns out to be the father's surname. (Got at least three instances in my family.)

That doesn't explain why she gave her own name as TAYLOR late TAYLOR formerly TAYLER.
    That might just be a simple case of Augusta not understanding the question the Registrar asked.

Is this Augusta's death record?
    Augusta Sophia TAYLOR d. 1853 Cheltenham Q4 6A 238

If so, have you got the death certificate? There may be some clues on it.

Also, did both Harriet and Sophronia marry after their mother's death? They may have had to guess at their father's first name.

Did James Augustus marry?

Peter
    Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

TonyHarrison1000

Hi Peter Thanks for your input. Yes I had noticed in 1851 Augusta is shown as unmarried and I at first thought the children were illegitimate. But then I with help found their baptisms which showed them as of John and Augusta. Both Harriet and Sophronia married twice and on all four marriage Certificates the father is shown as John either as a sailor or mariner. The death in 1853 of an Augusta Sophia Taylor shows she was aged 0. No marriage found for James Augusta.
    Harriet was still living in St Philip and Jacob 1861

TonyHarrison1000

Hi Jomot1 Thanks for your input. AS i have said in answer to Peter I also considered them illegitimate but revised my opinion with the additional information given to Peter. Susannah was James wife as I have her death certificate. There is a Augusta Sophia Tayler baptised St John the Baptist Gloucester parents James and Susanna 19 Jul 1812

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast