Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Kroesen Family

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by coachcaptain View Post
    No he wasn't born a Jew but adopted the faith in order to marry Jettje. He was born William Osborne, in Jun 1880, took the faith and added the name Jacob.
    Sorry forgot to add his parents. They were John Osborn born Aug 1855 and Martha Osborn nee Dowsett born Nov 1856, married in July 1875.

Here are some sources if not already known- see Jewish Genealogical Society of Great Britain library index of family trees- Defries B12,B19,D65,D72,E3- online source as per the sticky note on this forum posted by me.
    See- Cemetery Scribes and Synagogue Scribes sites on Defries/Swaebe.

Take a look at the British Jewry Archives for surnames- you can also post on this site as I did many years ago when first researching my lines- best to keep all options open
    Phillip

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by phillip View Post
    Here are some sources if not already known- see Jewish Genealogical Society of Great Britain library index of family trees- Defries B12,B19,D65,D72,E3- online source as per the sticky note on this forum posted by me.
    See- Cemetery Scribes and Synagogue Scribes sites on Defries/Swaebe.

Take a look at the British Jewry Archives for surnames- you can also post on this site as I did many years ago when first researching my lines- best to keep all options open
    Phillip
    Hi Phillip. Once again some great help and advice. Will look at the sites you suggest and see what I can find. A great help indeed.

Some additional data for researchers looking at the Kroesen/Schwaab and related lines:
    1911 Census (Copyright TNA) RG14 1665
    24 Tredegar Road Bow E
    William OSBORNE H 30 Married Public House Manager b Roydon Essex
    Julia wife 37 Married 8 years 3 children 2 alive 1 dead b Bishopsgate (City)
    Samuel son 5 school b Mile End Old Town
    Lily daughter 1 year b Mile End Old Town

5 Rooms

There are family trees online which have Samuel Edward Osborne 1906-1963; Lilian Queenie Osborne 1909-1998
    William George Osborne 1911-2001

The 1911 Census however indicates another child died pre 1911 census

See Dutch Jewry online website for Amsterdam Ashkenazi Jews:
    Joseph Barend Kroesen b 1809 Amsterdam age 26 son of Barend Kroesen
    =Rosa Levij 3 August 1836 Amsterdam age 35 b Stadt Prussia daughter of Meyer and Schone Salamon

Whether or not this Kroesen line relates to Joseph Samuel Kroesen =Rachel Swaab requires confirmation.

Doreen Berger in her 2 volumes The Jewish Victorian.Genealogical Information from the Jewish Newspapers 1861-70 and 1871-1880 Published 1999 and 2004 has numbers of Defries/Defrece with associations to Lyons,Somers,Hyman;De Jong, Hadida,Salaman,Castello,Kaula,Nathan,Nordon,Levy,A lexander,Klean,Barnard,Mendoza,Lazarus,Pyke,Castel lo,Magnus.

Phillip

From The Jewish Chronicle Archives-Death "Alice WOOLF nee KROESEN dearly beloved wife of Solomon, mother of Joseph and grandmother of Denise and Marcelle, passed away on Monday Sept 5,1960 after a long illness..."
    58 Porters Avenue Dagenham
    Jewish Chronicle Sept 9,1960

Phillip

Starting to feel at home

From The Jewish Chronicle Archives-Death "Alice WOOLF nee KROESEN dearly beloved wife of Solomon, mother of Joseph and grandmother of Denise and Marcelle, passed away on Monday Sept 5,1960 after a long illness..."
    58 Porters Avenue Dagenham
    Jewish Chronicle Sept 9,1960

Phillip
    The info fits, made her 67 if its about my Alice Woolf. A bit more delving from my side I think?

Starting to feel at home

Some additional data for researchers looking at the Kroesen/Schwaab and related lines:
    1911 Census (Copyright TNA) RG14 1665
    24 Tredegar Road Bow E
    William OSBORNE H 30 Married Public House Manager b Roydon Essex
    Julia wife 37 Married 8 years 3 children 2 alive 1 dead b Bishopsgate (City)
    Samuel son 5 school b Mile End Old Town
    Lily daughter 1 year b Mile End Old Town

5 Rooms

There are family trees online which have Samuel Edward Osborne 1906-1963; Lilian Queenie Osborne 1909-1998
    William George Osborne 1911-2001

The 1911 Census however indicates another child died pre 1911 census

See Dutch Jewry online website for Amsterdam Ashkenazi Jews:
    Joseph Barend Kroesen b 1809 Amsterdam age 26 son of Barend Kroesen
    =Rosa Levij 3 August 1836 Amsterdam age 35 b Stadt Prussia daughter of Meyer and Schone Salamon

Whether or not this Kroesen line relates to Joseph Samuel Kroesen =Rachel Swaab requires confirmation.

Doreen Berger in her 2 volumes The Jewish Victorian.Genealogical Information from the Jewish Newspapers 1861-70 and 1871-1880 Published 1999 and 2004 has numbers of Defries/Defrece with associations to Lyons,Somers,Hyman;De Jong, Hadida,Salaman,Castello,Kaula,Nathan,Nordon,Levy,A lexander,Klean,Barnard,Mendoza,Lazarus,Pyke,Castel lo,Magnus.

Phillip
    Well, what a revelation, a missing child? Haven't got any info re-that about Jacob and Jettje, there is a 4 year gap between child 1 and 2, so there is room. Thanks for pointing it out.

Yes I have seen a few other family trees with my father and his family, have joined some and exchanging info on a regular basis. But of course there is probably more to find.

I will look mat the Dutch Jewry online site and check out the info there. They were Ashkenazi line of the faith, the names and dates fit, so more interesting stuff coming up.

Will see if I can get to the Doreen Berger books as well. All very useful information Phillip. Thanks for it all.

Jeff
    Having lived and worked in Australia and spending may years researching my Anglo Jewish lines with my Australian cousins and other cousins world wide I know how difficult it can be to locate and access resources.
    It would be helpful if you confirmed whether or not you can access the British Census and other records such as newspapers.
    I am happy to post relevant data if you can't access resources but don't want to duplicate what you already know.

Phillip

Starting to feel at home

Jeff
    Having lived and worked in Australia and spending may years researching my Anglo Jewish lines with my Australian cousins and other cousins world wide I know how difficult it can be to locate and access resources.
    It would be helpful if you confirmed whether or not you can access the British Census and other records such as newspapers.
    I am happy to post relevant data if you can't access resources but don't want to duplicate what you already know.

Phillip
    Hi Phillip. Yes I can access the census, in fact have had it for quite a while, but as with most thing tended to just have a quick look and then add the citation to the relevant people, and keep on looking. Just haven't noticed the "missing child" bit. Through MyHeritage, which is about the same as Ancestry, I have access to all the usual resource. It just seems that you have far more knowledge and therefore more avenues to explore. I cannot rate your info highly enough, and I thank you.
    It is only recently that I have started to concentrate on my Jewish side, since the Dutch records have been released. I have fond hand written stuff which a friend has kindly translated for me.
    The best answer to your question is, if it's ok with you, feel free to send me anything you want, if I have it already then nothing is lost, but only if you want to and have time to. I can send you my email address and we can communicate via that if it's deemed more appropriate. Thanks.

Jeff
    Re-checking my own Anglo Jewish lines and specifically my Jacobs line I note that there are Swaebe distant relatives.These Swaebe descend from Aaron Swaebe b Amsterdam via 2nd marriage and include Daniel Swaebe 1819-1887 and others.
    I have yet to check any relevance to your lines but will do so.
    This data is listed on the Jacobstree family history online website set up by one of my Jacobs cousins with research from numerous cousins world wide including me.

You might want to check the data on your Swaebe with names of who the above lines married into.
    Phillip

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast