Famous for offering help & advice

Default Marriage Entry 1618

Anyone translate this Carsington marriage (image 11 of 114 on Ancestry) better than me and the Derbyshire Marriage Index Website (why in 17 years of research have I never seen this site til tonight?) Thanks Mitch

Note 84: (taken from this webpage: https://www.derbysmarriages1538-1837...March-2012.pdf )
    John Storer son of Robert Storer of Ible husbandman and Eliz his wife (a servt with German
    Buxton of Kirk Ireton) & Ellen Bronnte d of Denis Bronnte late of Kirk Ireton, webster (a
    servant with Robte Cowp[er?] of Onnigrie in Cawlowe in Wirksworth.

My interpretation:
    John STORER the son of Robte STORER of Ible husb: (andman) & Elizabeth his wife (a servant/
    with German BUXTON of Kirke Ireton) & Elizabeth BRONNTE? ye daughter of Edeine?/
    BRONNTE late of Kirk Ireton aforesaid, Webster (a servante with Robte COWP[that type of ‘p’ indicates a shortening as does : in husbandman above so COWPER] of Coning/
    rie in Cawlowe in Wirksworth ????? married at this Church ye 21? Day of/
    June being Friday Ano 1618

June 21 1618 was a Thursday. June 22 would fit.

I agree with you on Cowper, and the same 'p' with a contraction mark is at the start of the word after Wirksworth, making it p[ar]ish.

I think the date is the 21st, and the day is Sunday. That would fit with the Julian calendar which was then in force - see

https://www.
    arc.id.au/Calendar.html

Thanks for that. I think the Brides surname is Bronte but it is rare in Derbyshire and I still cannot discern the Brides Fathers first name - wondering if some sort of attempt at Edwin or Edward?
    Mitch

Not sure about that - any chance of a larger scan of just that bit?

Denis according to the Derbyshire Marriage Index. I thought Ed.... then secondly wondered if it started with a H or.....?

I agree that it's Denis.

If you go back to your first image, have a look at the first character of the word 'servante' at the end of the first line, and part way through the third line. It's a long 's' with the curl through the stem (more often seen with 'p') to indicate 'ser'.

The one in the third line can be seen quite clearly, and if you then look at the one in the first line, you can see a similar curl extending to the left, and looking as if it's part of this name on the line below.

If you ignore the squiggle, this name clearly starts with 'de', and the last two letters are 'is'. Take the two minims (vertical strokes) in the middle as an 'n', and you get Denis.

Really surprised at that Arthur, hadn't realised Denis was such an old name. Your help is much appreciated. Mitch.

And just found mislisted a Will of 1614 for Dennis BRUNT of Kirk Ireton so BRONNTE is probably BRUNT originally!