Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Default Walter Sutherland and Elizabeth/Elspet Gunn

Hi I am trying to find the births of these people.
    Walter Sutherland was born around 1770 either in Edinburgh or around Latheron in Caithness.
    He married Elizabeth or Elspet Gun(n) in 1804 in Latheron. 1841 census. They moved to Edinburgh where most their children were born. Elizabeth in 1851 census says birthplace Latheron c1778.
    1841 census gives both birthplace as Midlothian.
    Am fairly certain she came from Latheron. Walter may have too as cannot find a Midlothian birth for him and there are several possible baptism entries in Latheron area.
    Has anyone researched these people or their families. As am at a bit of a brick wall.
    Regards
    B

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum. I haven't had a lot of luck yet, but will have another try later. Have you looked for a death cert for Elizabeth? If she's in the 1851 census, she may have lived until 1855...

Since "Introduce Yourself" is not really suitable for research questions, I'm moving this thread to the "General Scottish" forum, whiere it might attract more attention. When we know which end of the country we need to search, we can always move it to the correct county!

Family Search's database has a lit of children for Walter Sutherland and Betty/Elizabeth Gunn:
    Isabella 1815 St Cuthbert's, Edinburgh
    John 1819 ditto
    Katherine 1809 Inveresk & Musselburgh

The same entries are on Scotlands People, confirming that the children were registered with the Church of Scotland.
    The marriage of Walter & Elsbeth in Latheron on 25-05-1804 is also there.

If you don't already have it, it might be worth getting the marriage entry from SP. The amount of info put into the record was entirely up to the Minister, but some recorded useful info. Note that when they say someone is öf this parish" it means that they're registered at the Church as a resident, not that they were born there.

I must admit that I'm a bit puzzled about the birth years of the children - they seem very wide-spaced, especially as W&E married in 1804. I wonder whether they moved around a bit more. Some Ministers didn't record maternal names for children.

I see that there's an Elizabeth Sutherland, mother's name Gunn, died in Latheron in 1857.

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    Family Search's database has a lit of children for Walter Sutherland and Betty/Elizabeth Gunn:
    John 1819 ditto

The same entries are on Scotlands People, confirming that the children were registered with the Church of Scotland.

If you don't already have it, it might be worth getting the marriage entry from SP. The amount of info put into the record was entirely up to the Minister, but some recorded useful info. Note that when they say someone is öf this parish" it means that they're registered at the Church as a resident, not that they were born there.

I must admit that I'm a bit puzzled about the birth years of the children - they seem very wide-spaced, especially as W&E married in 1804. I wonder whether they moved around a bit more. Some Ministers didn't record maternal names for children.

I see that there's an Elizabeth Sutherland, mother's name Gunn, died in Latheron in 1857.
    Thank You so much for your help on this one. The birth dates puzzled me too. I would be delighted to find more details of my Scottish ancestors. It has taken me a long time to get this far. I am descended from Katherine Sutherland who married Robert Reid in Edinburgh 1832 and for years that's all I knew but at last am making some progress.
    Is SP Scotland's People?
    I shall also try and get Elizabeth's death certificate.
    Thanks again
    B

Getting scottish certificates is reasonably easy. Register at Scotland’s People (yes, SP) and buy some credits. Run your search and when you find what you’re looking for, click on the button at the side, credits are taken from your account and you get a copy on your screen. You can save it to your own machine, but it also stays available to you on their system.

For some things, such as the censuses from 1841-1901, I check the transcriptions on Ancestry or Find My Past to be sure I have the right folk before buying a copy.

Famous for offering help & advice

SP also have a baptism of a Margaret Sutherland, father Walter Sutherland, in Latheron in 1807.

And FS have a marriage in Edinburgh in 1835 of a Margaret Sutherland, father Walter Sutherland to Edward Munro. Possibly her.

Famous for offering help & advice

I think this may be a different Elizabeth as yours was in Edinburgh in 1851 and Sutherland is a very common name in Caithness. Also Elizabeth's maiden name was Gunn but we do not know her mother's maiden name.

Starting to feel at home

Smile Re:Walter Sutherland and Elizabeth Gunn

Many thanks to all who have replied to help me with this. It's very much appreciated.

Regards

Bunbury

Starting to feel at home

John 1819 ditto

If you don't already have it, it might be worth getting the marriage entry from SP. The amount of info put into the record was entirely up to the Minister, but some recorded useful info. Note that when they say someone is öf this parish" it means that they're registered at the Church as a resident, not that they were born .

Have now downloaded the entry for the marriage and it says "Walter Sutherland of Rhinsary" and Elspet Gun of Ausdale" No parents names given unfortunately. Have googled both Rhinsary and Ausdale and not found any reference to them.
    ��

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Bunbury125 View Post
    Have googled both Rhinsary and Ausdale and not found any reference to them.
    ��
    Ausdale is listed as “a hamlet and rivulet in SE Caithness, 4m south-west of Berriedale”

This could well be Ousdale on modern maps,which is located north-east of Helmsdale, on the A9.

Rinsary, “a broch and post-medieval farmstead, 300m WNW of Berriedale”

The OS Six Inch Map 1888-1913 shows a building named Rinsary and there is an area nearby called Rinsary Brae. Other maps show it as Badrinsary.

Peter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast