Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Peter,
    Many thanks.
    At least I can see the area they lived in even if Walter and Eliz continue to Elude me.
    Regards
    B

If all the children we've found belong to the same couple, they seem to have been moving around a bit. I know that Walter gives his occupation as "porter" in the 1841 census. Do you have other occupations for him?

Knowledgeable and helpful

When I was browsing Caithness maps, I noticed a Clan Gunn Museum and Heritage Centre in Latheron.

The Clan Gunn Society has a website:
    https://www
    .clangunnsociety.org/heritage-centre/

and they have their own genealogist.

Perhaps your Elspet Gun(n) was a member of the Clan.

Peter

The 1796 Statistical Account for Latheron can be seen HERE. Fishing seems to have been one of the main trades... Click on one of the 3 reports in the box top right. Without subscribing, you can read the texts but not do anything else (eg print, save). There's an arrow on the right of the fram to change pages.
    According to the 1843 Gazetteer of Scotland, Ausdale was a small village in the parish of Latheron, 4 miles SW of Berridale/Berrydale.

The Minister (Robert Gun) who wrote the 1796 Statistical Report complains that the Church Records have not been systematically kept, which may be why you can't find Walter's baptism...

You can find links to other sources in my sticky post HERE.

Famous for offering help & advice

There are a number of Elizabeth/Elspet Gun(n) around in the Latheron area but one which may be of interest is an Elspet Gun bp 7 Feb 1779 father George Gun , abode Ausdale, (from freereg). However remember that there are huge numbers of Gun(n)s in that area, that they often moved around and that there are not necessarily baptism records for all . Also your Elspet was at Ausdale when she married and was not necessarily born there.

The only Walter I can see is the one bp at Watten in1769, parents Walter Sutherland and Janet Morrison.
    However there is a William Sutherland of Rinsary baptising sons William and Adam at Latheron in 1777 and 1778.
    But again, there really are a lot of Sutherlands around this area so he could be relatively unconnected to your Walter. And Walter may not have been born at Rinsary.

Have found a wikitree for the Adam b 1778 mentioned above. Parents William Sutherland and Katharine Sutherland married Latheron 1767.

Starting to feel at home

Hi,
    I only have porter. Though I do know from Katherine's marriage entry that he probably worked at the Black Bull hotel in Catherine Street Edinburgh.
    Katherine herself was said to live at Hamilton's Entry, 36 Bristo street.
    Many Thanks
    B

Starting to feel at home

Thank You for spending time on this. It is really hard when information is so limited to pin down the right person. I thought when the location shifted from Edinburgh to Caithness that it would get easier. I thought it might be relatively easy to find them in a small rural community. How many Walter Sutherland's and Elizabeth Gunn's could there be I thought. How wrong I was.
    In reality, you're right, I suppose Walter could have been born anywhere or his birth might not be recorded at all. Maybe I've reached the end of the line with him.

Once again , thanks for your time.
    B

Starting to feel at home

Thank You, will check that as soon as I can.
    B

Hello again
    It can be a bit disheartening to come to a dead end of sorts - but can also lead to further interests.
    I do suspect that both Walter and Elspet were from the Latheron area. It is possibble that the Gunn museum already mentioned may throw up a new lead or possibly the Latheron Kirk Session records held at the National Records of Scotland in Edinburgh. Catalogue is online but not the actual records.
    Otherwise you may enjoy finding out about the geography and social history of the Latheron area, the highland clearances, the clan system etc
    Your couple probably earned a living from crofting and fishing and may even have travelled to Edinburgh by boat. The east coast herring trade was a big thing. All speculation of course!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast