Starting to feel at home

Default Captain Pringle RN- Freedom of Edinburgh 1777

The Caledonian Mercury for 20 Jan 1777 has, under the general heading of "Edinburgh", this report:
    "Captain Thomas Pringle ... was ... complimented with the freedom of this city on Wednesday last."

I am trying to find out when he was born, who were his parents, and from where he came. Is there anywhere a list of Edinburgh's freemen with such information?

With thanks for any help you can give in this matter,
    David

Famous for offering help & advice

is this a different person to Vice-Admiral Thomas Pringle ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas...l_Navy_officer)

https://morethannelson.com/officer/thomas-pringle/

something keeps going wrong with that first link

Starting to feel at home

Same man, earlier in his career. The freedom was given for his victory on Lake Champlain in Oct 1776.

Thank you for the references.

David

the general concensus on the internet is that his parents were Walter Pringle of St Kitts and Eleanora Lidderdale of Roxburgh, with Thomas having a sister Ann who married John Dalrymple and became the mother of the 4th and 5th Baronets of Hailes, which you probably already knew. Nobody seems to have a date of birth for Thomas, I guess he may have been born on St Kitts. I don't have a newspaper subscription which might tell me how old Thomas was at death. The website Scotlands People seems to be undergoing maintenance at the moment.

Starting to feel at home

Thank you for your further help.
    His death is noticed in the Naval Chronicle for July to Dec 1803, p. 517 but no age is given. He was commissioned as a lieutenant in 1760, which suggests a birth date around 1740.
    David

assuming its the same person, Scotlands People says that Thomas Pringle died on 10 December 1803 aged 60. The two links I gave earlier say 8 December. I guess the 10th might be a burial date or the death registration date.

Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post
    assuming its the same person, Scotlands People says that Thomas Pringle died on 10 December 1803 aged 60. The two links I gave earlier say 8 December. I guess the 10th might be a burial date or the death registration date.
    Walter Pringle's antecedents appear to be the Pringles of Stichel House, county Roxburgh, with Walter being a son of Thomas, who in turn was the fourth son of Sir Robert Pringle of Stichel, "a Baronet of Nova Scotia, 5 July 1683".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pringle_baronets

Starting to feel at home

Very many thanks for the additional information, particularly his age at death from Scotland's People.
    David