Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default Simpkins families in Bath Somerset <1800>

Hi I am looking into my Simpkins family who I believe were in Bath 1790.

ggg grandfather Robert Simpkins (or Simkins) was born 1790 I believe in Bath. He married Jane 1817 I have found a marraige to Jane Giles 1817 and their 1st son Robert born 1818 in Bath. All children were born in Bath and around 1830 they moved to Box in Wilts.

I have found a family (thanks to Geoffrey who was also doing a Simpkins family around that time) in Bath and they had a son Robert born about the time of my Robert 1790. We have been unable to confirm that ggg granddad Robert 1790 was born in Bath because we only have his burial in Box 1839 so missed any census that would help us prove where he was born.

We even have a will of a Joseph Simpkins naming his brother Robert (2 wills 1800 & 1808). Joseph had died 1800, was this Robert 1790's father, the only trouble is he does not mention any of his children by name. The names in both families follow, the younger sister Ann Brown (nee Simpkins) was present at a nephew's wife's death in Bath 1860 when the nephew and family were in Dorset (their daughter was with grandmother in Box). So it's looking very positive that it's the right family.

Any thoughts or idea's would be very welcome.

Irene

jeeb

Question Two Wills?

Quote Originally Posted by idredge

We even have a will of a Joseph Simpkins naming his brother Robert (2 wills 1800 & 1808). Joseph had died 1800, was this Robert 1790's father, the only trouble is he does not mention any of his children by name.
    Irene
    Hi Irene,
    What do you mean by having two Wills, Irene? If Joseph died in 1800 he could not make the Will in 1808, so who did? Was there another Joseph?
    In what respect did Joseph mention his brother Robert, eg as guardian of his children, that would suggest Joseph was still a young man at death? I assume you are suggesting Joseph who died in 1800 could be Robert's (1790) father. Do you know the name of Robert's father because if you don't and Joseph had a brother Robert, then the brother Robert could equally be the father of Robert in 1790.
    Jeremy

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default Wills

Sorry for the delay Jeeb,

The will or wills, the 1800 is the original full Will left with the Devonshire Arms papers in Wiltshire but the shortened copy is left in the Somerset Records Office and was proved in 1808. They were of the same person. Had to get them both to be sure.

He just mentions his children but not by name, Robert the brother is to look after the affairs until such time the Child/children can do so in this case the property was sold in 1823 which became the Devonshire Arms, today its the Tap only a small pub.

Robert was not mentioned as Guardian but I am sure he made sure the children were ok.

I had thought that the brother Robert could have been the father of Robert but I have not found any evidence that the elder Robert had any children. We have found a Robert Simpkins death in Swainswick 1829 and if I remember right a wife Jane died earlier. I am not sure if this is the brother Robert but it does tie in with my Robert moving to Kingsdown Box 1829/30.

As we have a burial ground for the Simpkins in Bath, they are all together 1st wife, eailier children a John Russell who I think marriage a Ann Simpkins back in the 1780's even one of the daughters children Caroline Birth who died if I remember right about 1830. The only one missing is young Robert so he did live so was he the one in Plymouth 1806 and did he return to be married in 1817 to Jane Giles. On his marriage there are no names that would tie in with the family that I know of at the moment.

The only points I have are the

Names carry on

Born at the right time

He was a Mason (Plymouth 1806 Robert Simpkins Mason of Walcot Bath)

A daughter in Law is with Ann Brown nee Simpkins on her death in 1860 (I have proved that her maiden name was Simpkins as a young children Jane had been born and I got the birth certificate)

Just hoping someone may come across something that would be very useful.

Irene

Quote Originally Posted by idredge View Post
    Hi I am looking into my Simpkins family who I believe were in Bath 1790.

ggg grandfather Robert Simpkins (or Simkins) was born 1790 I believe in Bath. He married Jane 1817 I have found a marraige to Jane Giles 1817 and their 1st son Robert born 1818 in Bath. All children were born in Bath and around 1830 they moved to Box in Wilts.

I have found a family (thanks to Geoffrey who was also doing a Simpkins family around that time) in Bath and they had a son Robert born about the time of my Robert 1790. We have been unable to confirm that ggg granddad Robert 1790 was born in Bath because we only have his burial in Box 1839 so missed any census that would help us prove where he was born.

We even have a will of a Joseph Simpkins naming his brother Robert (2 wills 1800 & 1808). Joseph had died 1800, was this Robert 1790's father, the only trouble is he does not mention any of his children by name. The names in both families follow, the younger sister Ann Brown (nee Simpkins) was present at a nephew's wife's death in Bath 1860 when the nephew and family were in Dorset (their daughter was with grandmother in Box). So it's looking very positive that it's the right family.

Any thoughts or idea's would be very welcome.

Irene

I have a bible relating a family with the name |Simpkins but they appear to be based in worcestershire/Herefordshire area . It was the mention of Robert Simpkins born 1790 that has got my interest as Robert Simpkins I have was born 1790,son of Sarah and Joseph Simpkins . Inside the bible I have is a family tree , some legible some dates not but names and dates are pretty good. Im happy to share photos of inscription if need be . Allison

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums Allison
    idredge hasn't visited the forums since 2017 but hopefully they are still using th same email address so will receive notification of your post.
    The bible sounds very interesting and a good source of information even though it is frustrating when the writing become illegible.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs