Knowledgeable and helpful

Default RAF Strike Command

My husband says that his father (a Squadron Leader) was based in Andover from 1960 to 1966 when Strike Command was there. Father-in-law delighted in saying he was 'in charge of Strike Command at RAF Andover' when he really meant that he was in charge of catering for Strike Command there.

Does anyone know if Strike Command was at RAF Andover in the 1960s and whether Andover was the only base for Strike Command or one of many?

Reputation beyond repute

Wikipedia has articles on RAF Strike Command and on RAF Andover. Note that Strike Command did not exist from 1960 to 1966.

Strike command only came in to existence in 1968, so I guess it a bit of memory fade.
    Strike command was all the bomber and fighters, command from RAF High Wycombe

Knowledgeable and helpful

Your comments reflect what I could find on line but I wanted to check my understanding before dismissing the story. And, it would seem that this is a case of memory fade, exaggeration or just another of father-in-law's stories ……………………….

Starting to feel at home

Your post led me to look at my father' s service record as he was based at Andover in the same period (1963-66)
    There is a gap for those years with no mention of Andover!
    I went to two Andover schools- so I know he was stationed there at the time.
    What is it with RAF Andover?!!

Famous for offering help & advice peter nicholl's Avatar

If you search The National Archives for RAF Andover, it throws up pages of references covering those dates, including many results for RAF Staff College Andover. Some of the documents are held at The RAF Museum, Hendon. Exercise "Seventh Veil" may be significant.
    Peter Nicholl
    Researching:Nicholl,Boater, Haselgrove & Vaughan