Starting to feel at home

Default J W Benson Provincial Actor Victorian Era

Hello

I have managed to find a wealth of information about my great-grandfather, who was a provincial Shakespearean actor throughout the United Kingdom between 1830 and 1870. He performed under the name J. W. Benson. His daughter, Caroline Benson, also performed with him for a time.

The one thing that now eludes me is a photograph of this man. Actors in those days had Carte de Visite photographs taken, and I would love to think that one of him still exists!

Does anyone have any advice as to where I should search for such a photo? British Newspapers website has been an excellent source of information for tracking his performances, but unfortunately newspapers of that era didn't include photographs.

I've received such excellent help through this forum for my previous dilemmas, so fingers crossed for this one, many thanks, Diana

The V&A has a theatrical archive. They have lots and lots of programme sheets and an archive of pictures. There is another archive - the Mander and............. I can't remember the other name!!! Just googled and it's the Mander and Mitchenson archive. There are thousands of pictures and programmes and stuff. I couldn't find my great grandparents in there but you should take a look. Just google Mander and Mitchenson. The archive is at Bristol University
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Starting to feel at home

Thanks for your prompt reply! I'll take a good look at both those references, Diana