Starting to feel at home

Default Death certificate

I have received my great great great grandfather's death certificate. It appears to say cause of death is 'paralatic not certified' Is this related to alcohol or does it mean paralysis? Can anyone help?
    Thanks
    Debbie

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

Possibly related to Lactic acid build up.....!!

Quote: Most of it is made by muscle tissue and red blood cells. ... Lactic acid levels get higher when strenuous exercise or other conditions-such as heart failure, a severe infection (sepsis), or shock-lower the flow of blood and oxygen throughout the body.

Steve.
    Too many bones, too much sorrow, but until I am dead, there's always tomorrow.

Barbara Dixon's site here says
    "In the early days of registration all the deaths were uncertified. The informant simply gave the cause as they saw it. And they were probably not far off the truth. You tend to get simple causes such as measles, stroke, gout, childbirth and so on"

As for the paralytic it is possible your ggggrandfather had a stroke. There used to be a web site by Paul Smith listing historic medical terms but it doesn't seem to working anymore. Type paul_smith.doctors.org.uk...dical in to a search engine and there is a google book result for it.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Reputation beyond repute

The important phrase here is "not certified". That means that it's the informant's idea of the cause of death, not a doctor's diagnosis.

I wouldn't worry too much about what the informant might have meant by this.

Don't forget that a common use of the word paralysis in the 19th century was in the phrase "general paralysis" ie syphilis.

Starting to feel at home

Thank you all for your thoughts, all interesting stuff
    Debbie