Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default WW1 Records Help

Hi all, Am hoping someone might be able to help me.

I have found my Great Uncle William James Clark (21/9/1881 Battersea) on the Roll of Honours, i came across him there by accident when i added an address to my search. (I was actually looking for my G Grandfather Edward Samuel Clark 29/1/1881 Battersea) It tells me he joined 7th Norfolk Reg, in Aug 1815, went to the Western front in Feb 1916 and was sent home after being injured and then returned to France and was killed by an accidental explosion in Cambria on the 22.11.1918. He was awarded the General Service an Victory Medals. I am trying to find information as to when he was actually sent home injured and when he returned to war, but i can't find a his service no. There is a no Z26504, an the end of the entry but I'm not sure if this is it, although i can't find anything. The address that i searched under was 291 Lynton Road, Bermonsdey, this the address William had listed when he married, and is also the address on my grandfather Walter William Clark (12/6/1918 St Olave( birth cert. I can't find anything on electoral roles or census for the family at this address other than on these documents.

If anyone can point me in the right direction to finding his service no, that would be very appreciated, and if you have any ideas how i can see if my G Grandfather Edward Samuel did serve (my grandfather told my Aunt he had, but she doesn't know any details) that would be great. Thanks in advance all.

Growing old Disgracefully

Is this your chap Found on Anc

British Army WWI Medal Rolls Index Cards, 1914-1920

Name: Edward S Clark
    Regiment or Corps: Queen's (Royal West Surrey) Regiment
    Regimental Number: G/1319

Just to get a handle on the family is this your Edward Samuel with his family in 1891?
    RG12 Piece 439 Folio 25 Page 5
    59 Lavender Hill Battersea
    James Clark 37 Butcher Huntingdon, Huntingdonshire,
    Harriet Clark 36 Marylebone, London
    Jessie Clark 12 Camberwell, London
    Edward Clark 10 Battersea, London
    Walter Clark 6 Battersea, London
    Frances Clark 1 Battersea, London
    Rowe Kemp 16 Boarder
    Lewie Maidment 24 Servant
    Emily Chanler 18 Servant

I see Edward was also a butcher in 1911 and married to Maud with a daughter Winifred

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Famous for offering help & advice

The date of death seems to be a year out, and it seems his name was Walter, not William. The CWGC lists him as Corporal WJ Clark, Service No. 12369, 7th Bn. Norfolk Regiment. Died 27 November 1917.

Ancestry has transcribed his Soldiers Effects record as Walter James Park. Widow & Sole Legatee was widow Ethel A.

As well as the medals you listed (Victory & British War) he also received the 1915 star as he first entered a theatre of war 30 May 1915. He died of wounds, so this was probably in a hospital or casualty clearing station.

Oh hang on, there is a partial record for him under Clarke showing that he was at No. 56(?) Casualty Clearing Station with GSW Thigh & Leg. Died 29 Nov 1917.

I've also found him on the daily casualty lists (Wounded) for 5 Nov 1915. 'Report received' date was 26 Oct 1915.

Have you looked at FWR's "Military Hospitals Admissions and Discharge Registers WW1"?

Famous for offering help & advice

Hi Natalie

I have read through all of the men whose names began with CLA in the WW1 Service Records (known as WO 363). There are at least 10 William James', hundreds of William's /James', no Edward Samuel.

But that doesn't mean he's not there - the papers were involved in WW2 bombing, scattered, and many completely/partially destroyed . So Edward Samuel may turn up in another file.
    Another alternative is that he enlisted as just Edward. Or Samuel. Or Eddie/Sam. No-one asked for proof of identity when they signed up. And the clerks who were scribbling down the details may have decided to write CLARKE instead of CLARK.

I've put the names into an Excel file - easiest to search by using something unusual - wife's maiden name for example. (No point searching for CLARK - 8891 matches!).
    I've also done it as a Word document - I think it's easier to search, but it's not so easy to read.

If you would like to have a look for yourself, trying different key-words, then you are very welcome. PM me with your e-mail address and tell me which document you want.

Jane

Hi Christina, yes this is my family, Walter is the one i found some details for during WW1 but i have not found anything for Edward yet. Edwards had four children, Winnifred, Gladys, Edna, and my grandad Walter William, his wife was actual Ethel Maud but seems to be listed as Ethel, Ethel M, or Maud on Census. Both Edward and his brother were Butchers, i think his father was as well.

Yes sorry his name was Walter James, not William, sorry there are so many Walters, and Williams i got confused. This looks like to could be my Uncle, his wife was Ethel Annie, i will take a look at these, thank you soooo much for your help.

that would be great, thanks Jane, will pm you

no i haven't, at the moment i only have access to Ancestry, and Find my past. Is FWR a pay per view site?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast