Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default WW1 Alfred Wagstaff

Hello all , I'm Curtis Wagstaff , my Grandfather was in WW! in tanks I recently found out , managed to trace him online and have his details etc , have a copy of his six medals card's but unsure how to read them and what it all means ! He was in the Leicester regiment Fusiliers but look's like he moved around lot and different regiments etc can anyone help ? can send a picture to your email ? won't allow it to upload on here although I purchased it from this site ! hehehe
    Last edited by waggy wagstaff; 31-01-2019 at 3:20 PM. Reason: missed a bit !

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello Curtis,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

Did you find the medal cards on a subscription site? If so, which one? Most of the sleuths on BG have a sub to either/or Findmypast and Ancestry so it's easy for us to look at the documents. We just need to know his name and service number(s).

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Hi , I got it from on here !

service number is GS/13745 name Alfred Wagstaff from Leicester

Quote Originally Posted by waggy wagstaff View Post
    Hi , I got it from on here !
    You mean you got it from Forces War Records. Not quite the same thing. Have a read of this.

Next question: are you assuming that all the A Wagstaffs on FWR are your grandfather - because they're not.
    Usually the most medals anyone received in WWI were three ('Pip, squeak and Wilfred' - google), unless any were awarded for gallantry or possibly regimental medals.
    The Wagstaff whose service number you've quoted says he was in the Royal Fusiliers. Nothing about Leicestershire Regiment.

Ancestry meanwhile have an A Wagstaff, Lei Reg (service number 3383) and Oxf and Bucks L I (Light Infantry) where his number was 238032

I've had a look on Ancestry for service records and there's an Alfred of 43 Aylestone Eoad, Leicester, whose father was Thomas, but he wasn't in the Leicestershire Regiment and his service number is different to the person in the previous paragraph.

We might need to approach this from a different angle, so tell us what else you know about Alfred. When he born; names of parents; bothers and sisters.

Pam

3383 came up aswel , ox and bucks on mine aswel , then cgds reg number 11472 dated 22nd/1/1915 .....then R wor R reg number 1893

A Wagstaff, Lei Reg (service number 3383) and Oxf and Bucks L I (Light Infantry) where his number was 238032 that must be him ! Just waiting to get hold of my mum ! She is the one to ask her about this but her memory has deteriorated as she is 85

Anything on the net about 3383 ? That is him I'm sure

Quote Originally Posted by waggy wagstaff View Post
    Anything on the net about 3383 ? That is him I'm sure
    For that number, apart from the Medal Index Card, which says he was awarded the Victory and British medals and it looks like the Silver War Badge as well, nothing about his service. Though as almost 70% of WW1 service records were destroyed by fire and bombing in WW2 that's not surprising.

Pam

Thanks for looking , I heard they were destroyed by the orders of churchil in 1935 he ordered all WW1 paperwork & records thrown away at the start of WW2

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast