Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Searching for Clement of Royal Scots Greys

The late American radio artist Joe Frank produced a show titled 'Clement at Christmas', the first 29 minutes are an English fellow telling about his life, which included a stint as a junior officer in the Royal Scots Greys. He doesn't give years, but he must have been born 1944-1946. He graduated from Eton, an uncle (actually a brother of his guardian, his parents having died when he was 9) was an honorary colonel of the RSGs, told him he would see that he got a commission if he made it through officer cadet school, which he did. He said his first assignment was in Aden and Bahrain to protect Kuwait's oil fields from Nasser. Then he was in Germany, where he misbehaved so badly he got the worst punishment, 28 days as orderly officer. He skipped out one night, drove his Peerless to Hamburg, went to the Cafe Mecca, hired a girl. He was caught out when he returned, was nearly cashiered. Around 1970 he moved to Los Angeles where he became an actor, playing Henry 8 at 1520 AD, a medieval-themed restaurant, and similar roles.

Does anyone recognize this story? It may all be fictional.

There's quite a few hits on Google. It doesn't sound as though it was anything other than a script - anyway, if "Clement" was a real person we would have to delete your post as the man might still be alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    There's quite a few hits on Google.
    On what?

It doesn't sound as though it was anything other than a script - anyway,
    I don't understand this comment.

if "Clement" was a real person we would have to delete your post as the man might still be alive.
    I've posted nothing but what was on the radio show produced 20 years ago. Is there a forum for veterans of this regiment?

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by ArthurPeabody View Post
    On what?
    If you put "Joe Frank produced a show titled 'Clement at Christmas'" into Google (or any search engine) you'll get results.
    I don't understand this comment.
    Lesley means it sounds as if Clement is an imaginary character, invented purely for the show, and not a real person. Just as J.R.Ewing in Dallas was not a real person.
    Plus the 'anyway' belongs to the next quote. The sentence of Lesley's which you quoted should just have read "It doesn't sound as though it was anything other than a script".

I've posted nothing but what was on the radio show produced 20 years ago. Is there a forum for veterans of this regiment?
    The forum T&Cs forbid discussing living persons on the forum, so if Clement was a real person your post would be deleted.
    A quick search for 'Royal Scots Greys' didn't bring up any obvious results for a forum, though there is a Facebook page. However, before you post anything there I would seriously think about whether Clement is likely to be a real person or an invention for a radio show.

I did find some results for an Association, but they only led to 'error', and no positive links.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    If you put "Joe Frank produced a show titled 'Clement at Christmas'" into Google (or any search engine) you'll get results.
    duckduckgo returned no results; Google returned no results; if Google broke it up it returned a few references to Joe Frank's show.

Lesley means it sounds as if Clement is an imaginary character, invented purely for the show, and not a real person.
    I mentioned that in my question.

Plus the 'anyway' belongs to the next quote.
    I misread the comma as a period; I interpreted 'script' to mean a computer program, now see I was wrong.

The forum T&Cs forbid discussing living persons on the forum
    I didn't know that.

if Clement was a real person your post would be deleted.
    If he's not it can stay up? The substance of the post is evaluatable independent of its veracity; the Wikipedia page says they were stationed in Libya, not Aden and Bahrain.

there is a Facebook page. However, before you post anything there I would seriously think about whether Clement is likely to be a real person or an invention for a radio show.
    Why? If he's fictional it's a fiction; if he's real the information has been broadcast on radio to millions over 20 years.

Thanks.

If he's fictional it's a fiction; if he's real the information has been broadcast on radio to millions over 20 years.
    I meant asking about him as if he's definitely a real person.

I'm not sure how au fait the regiment would be about a radio programme broadcast in the US in December 1999.

Pam

Thanks for the pointer to Facebook. I never belonged. I joined just to look this up. Their page has a picture by Clement von Franckenstein of the RSGs in 1965. It says that he wasn't a member. (So why does he have a picture?) His Facebook page corresponds to some of the story he tells, not all of it. Many radio stations have repeated Joe Frank's shows for years, still do. 'Clement at Christmas' is a popular episode around Christmas time. So the actor who played the role exists, not the person he portrayed.

If the biography on (www.) imbd.com is correct then Clement's story on the Joe Frank show may be true.

You would need to write and ask him.

Pam

If the biography on (www.) imbd.com is correct then Clement's story on the Joe Frank show may be true.
    IMDB! Brilliant suggestion! His biography on IMDB is consistent with the story told on that Joe Frank show.

The oddest thing happened: I got his name by going to Facebook's Royal Scots Greys' page and searching on Clement, which yielded a picture of the RSGs in 1965, his name in the caption. That picture has disappeared.

Clement has a Facebook page.

Pam

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast