Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Default Stations of the Royal Navy April 1899

While searching for details about whether my grandfather could have been one of the field gun crews who helped in the relief of Mafeking I came across an article called 'Stations of the Royal Navy' and it lists the stations and the ships based there.

The article can be found in the British Newspaper Archive and also on Findmypast in the 'Army and Navy Gazette', dated 15 April 1899.
    It's on page 26. Search for 'Centurion', though I presume the word 'stations' would also find it.

Interestingly, on the previous page is a list of the 'Stations of the British Army', listing where the various regiments were based.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

The list was published at least annually. Always in the Army and Navy Gazette, and I've also seen it in the 'Portsmouth Times and Naval Gazette' for various years. (Not all years are yet available via the BNA andFMP.)

In a similar thread about 'Stations of the British Army' Peter Goodey advises to try the London Gazette as well. (Which IIRC is free to use.) https://www.british-genealogy.com/th...rmy-April-1899
    No doubt the Gazette will also publish Stations of the Royal Navy.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”