Dave6335

Default John May 1817. Bejowans itp

Hello, I am returning to Family History after a long time away from any research. I decided to start with my great x2 grandfather John May and have come unstuck immediately. According to the Cornish OPC his parents (and presumeably John) were residing at Bejowans ITP.
    My questions are: does itp mean "in this parish" and is Bejowans a place as I can find no reference anywhere as a community (village or town) or is it actually a parish name?

Knowledgeable and helpful

According ti the Genuki site Cornwall pages Bejowans is 5 miles SW of St Columb Minor, so I'd guess it was a small hamlet in the parish (itp) of St Columb Minor.

Emeltee

Dave6335

Thank you Emeltee, It shows I'm out of touch with the process of research. I missed out Genuki completely. Thank you for replying so promptly.

Knowledgeable and helpful

There is a property showing on G**gle maps as Bejowans Cottage. Search for Cubert, Newquay, and the property is about 1K to the north of Cubert on Lewannick Road. It seems to be one of three dwellings.

Bejowan appears on the 1841 census, along with Little Bejowan and Middle Bejowan! Perhaps the three above, known collectively as Bejowans?

The 1851 Census has three entries for Bejowans, each as a separate dwelling.

Peter

Earliest map I can find of Bejowans -

Vision of Britain
    https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/56

Click on map and select first map in list (1:63360)

(P.S - not a bad morning here in sunny Swansea)
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Dave6335

Hello Peter,

Thank you for your reply to my query. Sorry its taken so long for me to respond but I couldn't get onto this site last night for some reason.

David

Dave6335

Hello helachau,

Thank you for your response to my query about Bejowans. I downloaded three maps before I finally found Bejowans. I obviously need to go to Specsavers .

David