Post Newspaper Shields Gazette article look up pls

Hi, I'm busy researching my 2nd great uncles.
    I've come across a newspaper article on genes reunited but I'm not a member.

Shields Daily News Northumberland, England
    21 Apr 1902

INQUESTS AT NORTH SHIELDS. DEATH FROM “D.T.’S IN TYNEMOOTH WORKHOUSE. On night,nt the Tynemooth Workhonee, Depaty Coroner H, T. Batherford

(not my spelling! Copied and pasted!!)

Would it be possible for anyone to look this up for me please?

Robert Henderson son of Frances and Christopher Henderson.

I would be truly grateful.
    Thanks, Lisa x

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi Lisa,

First of all that heading about the death in the workhouse doesn't refer to Robert's death, but to that of a James Robson.
    The article about Robert is the one underneath the James Robson one.

Do you have a sub to Findmypast? If so, the article is available there.
    I don't think the newspapers are available if you have a free 14-day trial on FMP, but if you take one out it looks as if you can then take out a month's 'Pro' subscription for sixteen quid. Make sure (a) that you download the article, and that (b) you cancel the month's sub before the renewal date.
    Alternatively, your local library may have access to FMP for free, or else a local library should have the actual newspapers for that area. You'll need to check which library, as I don't know how big North Shields library is. It could be that the newspapers are held in Newcastle.

T&Cs for both FMP and Brit-Gen forbid copying of the article. However the story, briefly, is that Robert was four years old. Wasn't well and after a bit of to-ing and fro-ing Frances took him to hospital where he had an operation on his throat. Obviously a small one because Frances collected him from the hospital after taking him there four hours earlier.
    The next morning he suffered convulsions and died two hours later.
    The coroner was unable to close the inquest because he thought a post-mortem was necessary.
    There is a further article in the following day's paper.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Thanks for your reply Pam. I appreciate you having a look for me.
    Unfortunately I don't have a sub with FMP I currently sub to Ancestry but I couldn't find the article on there.
    Apologies for the wrong headline, that's the one that showed up but I couldn't open it.

I will have to see if I can get to North Shields one day as I don't live in that area.

Poor boy, I believe they also lost a daughter Susannah at about the same age.

Thanks again for taking the time x x

You won't find the article on Ancestry because it's part of the British Newspaper Archive, which is also available on FMP.

You could try your local library who may have access to either FMP or the BNA. Alternatively, see this page (copy and paste the second line) https://www.
    britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/content/get_started_today
    If you register you can see three pages for free. And as you only want two . . . . .

FMP also used to have PayAsYouGo credits but I'm having trouble finding out about them on the website, so I've had a moan to customer services. With the credits you paid about seven quid and received x number of credits and depending on what you viewed you could often see quite a few records for that amount. e.g. if you got fifty credits you could chose to see say five census images which might cost ten credits each, or else six census transcriptions at five credits each and two images.

By the way, there's no need to apologise for the wrong headline. The indexing often gives a misleading headline to the article you want. I was just pointing out to you that that headline referred to a different article to stop you getting confused when you looked for it. The entry you want is the next article down.
    If you search for Henderson in the next day's edition (22 April), it will take you straight to the article.

Ooh - I was just checking something, and notice there's a very brief notice in the births, marriages, and deaths column where Robert's parents are saying thank you to people for their sympathy in the edition dated 24 April.

Pam

Reputation beyond repute

Gateshead Libraries offer access to the British Newspaper Archive, which is the resource you need.

Thank you for your replies, I can get to Gateshead library easier. I'm going to look on British Newspaper Archives.

Thank you x

Quote Originally Posted by LadyLisaRaRa View Post
    Thank you for your replies, I can get to Gateshead library easier. I'm going to look on British Newspaper Archives.

Thank you x
    You can use that link I gave you for free access to three pages when you first register on the BNA site on your home computer.
    Wherever you access the pages, remember to download them.

Pam

I've just registered
    Found the articles thank you! Outcome was convulsions due to shock...

I've made sure I've saved them

Thnks for the help x x