crechat39

Default The Hartford Family

I have just landed in India in the footsteps of my Victorian ancestors the Hartford Family. Patrick landed in India, as a private, in 1827 and left, still a private, in 1841 taking with him one of his wives and all but one of his children.
    A daughter, Margaret, remained in India aged 12. The death records for her in 1865 show
    Quality, Trade, Profession etc. etc.........H Ms 33rd Regiment.
    My query is – what does this mean in terms of what she was doing in India during this time. What does this information mean for her.
    Does anyone know where I can find information about this?
    Keep safe and sound.

Margaret

Knowledgeable and helpful

Could she have been working for a family whereby the father was a member of the 33rd Regiment? Perhaps as a Governess or Childrens' Nurse.

Emeltee

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by emeltee View Post
    Could she have been working for a family whereby the father was a member of the 33rd Regiment? Perhaps as a Governess or Childrens' Nurse.

Emeltee
    Yes and possibly H Ms is short for Her Majesty's ?

crechat39

That's a good idea. When her family went back she was 12, so possibly a maid or other member of a household staff. I'm going to look at who the 33rd Regiment were. Incidentally she seems to have been unmarried when she died, or that is what I have assumed from the fact that her death is registered under her family name. I feel quite sorry for her.
    I'm off now to try to decipher the sentence her father received at court martial.

Thank you

Starting to feel at home

Starting to feel at home

The historical books online and External links at the bottom of the above 33rd link are really interesting- giving an insight into the regiment's living and medical conditions etc at the time.