LaurenceB

Default Help reading a Johannesburg address

Hi, my wife's grandparents were married in Johannesburg in 1909. I am trying to read the address of the groom under "Residence at the time of marriage". I have tried a directory of Jo'burg streets but without success. If anyone can help I would be grateful. There are 2 different register images which I am attaching. Thanks.

I began to check Holmden's 1929 Johannesburg map for something that "looked similar" to the address you are seeking (I'm seeing something that looks like "Tampie St?). Having generated an expanded view, and begun trawling through, the system froze and I had to abandon search. Currently having problems generating the expanded version.

Suggest you google "Holmden's 1929 Johannesburg map" and see if you can generate the searchable image.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Famous for offering help & advice

I took that to be a T as well, but when I google Jempies Street I get one single hit for the 2006 Zimbabwe telephone directory volume 2. (on second thoughts of course Johannesburg isn't in Zimbabwe and that first letter isn't anything like the J of John or Johannesburg)

(out of interest where was Mr Williams's birthplace ? - somewhere in South Wales ? )

I was reading birthplace as Treforest and comparing with first letter of mystery address.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

LaurenceB

Thanks for the help. I have managed to download the 1929 map, and found a Jumpers Street. On the document headed Congregational Church, Bree Street, it could easily be that, since the J is similar to the J of Johannesburg (Jhburg). But I agree on the other document it looks very like a T. Jumpers Street is also not far from the Meyer and Charlton mine where the bride lived (her father worked on the mine).
    Yes, John Williams was from Treforest near Pontypridd in South Wales.