Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Burial Records

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Burial Records

Hello,

I have been researching my family tree on & off for 18 years. I was fortunate to get a lot of information from my father before he died in 2005 and some information was given to me by another relative who had done some research. So far I've back 'reliably' to my GGGG Grandfather born 1763.

I have the rough story of who they were, where they came from & what they did. Having used the census I've been able to ascertain where they lived at various points in their lives. I've concentrated on Grandfathers, Great Grandfathers etc.

My ancestors were based in the North East around Darlington & latterly Durham. Great Great Grandfather died 1887 & Great Grandfather died 1937. I'd desperately like to trace their graves however to date its eluded me.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Looking for Newton Steadman 1887 in Esh, born 1830 & William Newton Steadman, born 1861 in Esh & died 1937 Langley Park.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello pictureman36,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

I can't find anything online (tried FMP, FamilySearch, FreeREG) so the obvious question is - have you actually been to Durham Record Office and searched the parish registers for Esh and the surrounding villages? If not, then that has to be your first port of call. If you've already booked your 2019 holiday for sunnier climes than Durham then the Record Office may offer a research service. If you have the death certificates with the dates of death then they will have a very small window to check for records, and even if they check six parishes it shouldn't take more than about fifteen minutes. If they have to check for about fourteen weeks because you only know the quarters in which Newton and William died, it should still take a lot less than an hour. Paying the Record Office to do may well be cheaper than travelling there yourself. On t'other hand, while you're in the Record Office you can look at a load of other records as well, and perhaps be able to get even further back.

Added:
    Research service at Durham RO is £32 for one hour. Though you could try the 'quick search' which is a fiver for a look for one fact in one document.. https://www.durhamrecordoffice.org.uk...search-service

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Reputation beyond repute

And, particularly for more recent deaths, you would be best advised to contact the relevant local authority and enquire about access to the burial and cremation registers for cemeteries under their control. Look at the council website in the first instance.

Have you made a typo with William's year of death? The record I see says 1935, not 1937.

Pam

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Burial Records

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Hello pictureman36,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

I can't find anything online (tried FMP, FamilySearch, FreeREG) so the obvious question is - have you actually been to Durham Record Office and searched the parish registers for Esh and the surrounding villages? If not, then that has to be your first port of call. If you've already booked your 2019 holiday for sunnier climes than Durham then the Record Office may offer a research service. If you have the death certificates with the dates of death then they will have a very small window to check for records, and even if they check six parishes it shouldn't take more than about fifteen minutes. If they have to check for about fourteen weeks because you only know the quarters in which Newton and William died, it should still take a lot less than an hour. Paying the Record Office to do may well be cheaper than travelling there yourself. On t'other hand, while you're in the Record Office you can look at a load of other records as well, and perhaps be able to get even further back.

Added:
    Research service at Durham RO is £32 for one hour. Though you could try the 'quick search' which is a fiver for a look for one fact in one document.. https://www.durhamrecordoffice.org.uk...search-service

Pam
    Thanks Pam, I've been up to Durham a couple of times. As a 'newbie' I got the feeling I was being a nuisance as I'd no idea where to look. Both individuals lived in the Esh area and where Catholic so it sort of narrowed it down to Esh Laude but when I visited it was getting dark and looking at the cemetery it looked like it'd been closed a long time. The house next to the church looked a bit like the house next to the Bates Motel and I got the feeling eyes where watching me I've the death certificates... GG Grandfather died of consumption which I found out was TB... I guess I could scan them and email them to the Durham RO. I guess they'll know exactly where they're buried?

Thanks for your help... much appreciated.

A fountain of knowledge

No sign of them on Find A Grave (whose database is made up of graves of records found by members) or deceasedonline (which only has registers for those cemeteries signed up to it). Ancestry has them in several members' public family trees but no one has any more than you do as to death or burial.

ROs do not retain records of places of burial. The local authority will have records for any cemeteries it manages, but this probably won't include Catholic cemeteries or churchyards. Be warned that many LAs and cemeteries charge substantial fees for lookups.

This forum:
    www.
    rootschat.com/forum/durham-resources-offers/
    has a lot of sources of information for Durham and even some offers of help.

Good luck. Chris

Catholic records are a different kettle of fish, and Catholic parish records are usually not held in Records Offices.
    I think I'd start by contacting the current vicar of the local Catholic church in Esh, and ask him if he knows if burials took place in the churchyard, and if so, does he have the early burial registers. If the first answer is 'no', then does he know where early burials took place? For instance there might be a Catholic church two villages away which does have a churchyard. If burials did take place, but he doesn't have the registers then he should be able to tell you where they're held.
    For William's burial, a cemetery is definitely something to be considered. It could be worth tracking down a local paper (sounds as if Durham RO have copies) for an obituary. Sometimes you get the death reported one week, possibly with 'the funeral will take place at x place on z day', and the following week there will be a further report of who attended the funeral and their relationship to the deceased. Mrs J Bloggs ( widow), Mr & Mrs F Bloggs (son & daughter-in-law), Adam and Eve Bloggs (grandchildren), etc.

Worth asking on the other forum if anyone is going to the RO and could check for an obit for William. Back in those days deaths were often recorded on the same page each week, so once you're familiar with the paper you can check quite quickly. The exceptions being locally 'famous' people who had a separate article to themselves.
    Think we have some members living 'oop north' but I can't remember how local they are to Durham. Try asking in the 'Person to person' forum on BG.

Pam

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Burial Records

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Catholic records are a different kettle of fish, and Catholic parish records are usually not held in Records Offices.
    I think I'd start by contacting the current vicar of the local Catholic church in Esh, and ask him if he knows if burials took place in the churchyard, and if so, does he have the early burial registers. If the first answer is 'no', then does he know where early burials took place? For instance there might be a Catholic church two villages away which does have a churchyard. If burials did take place, but he doesn't have the registers then he should be able to tell you where they're held.
    For William's burial, a cemetery is definitely something to be considered. It could be worth tracking down a local paper (sounds as if Durham RO have copies) for an obituary. Sometimes you get the death reported one week, possibly with 'the funeral will take place at x place on z day', and the following week there will be a further report of who attended the funeral and their relationship to the deceased. Mrs J Bloggs ( widow), Mr & Mrs F Bloggs (son & daughter-in-law), Adam and Eve Bloggs (grandchildren), etc.

Worth asking on the other forum if anyone is going to the RO and could check for an obit for William. Back in those days deaths were often recorded on the same page each week, so once you're familiar with the paper you can check quite quickly. The exceptions being locally 'famous' people who had a separate article to themselves.
    Think we have some members living 'oop north' but I can't remember how local they are to Durham. Try asking in the 'Person to person' forum on BG.

Pam
    Thanks Pam, I've been to Durham RO and the church records for Esh Laude are there. They copied the baptism records for my GG Grandfather who was baptised there in 1830. They've also got the baptism records for his children all with latin names. GG Grandfather was illegitimate; His mother Frances married a Mr Brown in 1834 and left her son with her parents... (his grandparents) who brought him up as their own. GGGG Grandfather was a weaver & latterly a 'cordwainer'... which he taught his grandson to do, although my GG Grandfather was actually a game keeper/farmhand. He only lived until he was 57... subsequent generations were connected to the mines around Durham & also the railways... Will try Durham RO again... Much appreciated.

Hi Everyone,,, I havent been on here for awhile BUT,,, I desperately need help ,,, I am looking for some referral or register as to where my Great Great Great Great Grandmother Catherine Wilkins (Baxter) is buried,,, as far as I know she should be in a cemetery known as Sheepy Road Cemetery, Atherstone. At least I have been told that,, But i cannot find any conformation of that. Apparently there are grandchildren of hers buried there as well, Wills and Gretton.!!! Is there some register that might show her actual location in the cemetery and if she is in fact buried there. I would really appreciate ANY assistance please. Other relies that may be there are Fulleyloves .... Sandy

Reputation beyond repute

Catherine Wilkins (Baxter)
    Is that Catherine Wilkins, formerly Baxter or Catherine Baxter formerly Wilkins?

When did she die?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast