Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Burial Records

Reputation beyond repute

...and have you checked the Atherstone parish burial register?

Hi Peter... She was Catherine Baxter, she married Joseph Wilkins in Dordon on the 3rd Feb, 1834. In her final days she lived in Avons Yard Atherstone and died on the 21st March, 1892. Other members of her family lived in Avons Yard as well which has since been demolished.
    Catherine had one son, Richard Baxter (father unknown) before she was married, that was my GGGGrandfather, she then married and had two daughters , Sarah and Maria. Sarah Wilkins married John Fulleylove, Maria Wilkins married Arthur Wills.
    My GGGG Grandfather married Charlotte Hall in Polesworth in 1852. They had a baby daughter, Betsey when they immigrated too Australia in 1855 aboard the immigration ship "The Telegraph"
    Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    ...and have you checked the Atherstone parish burial register?
    Hi Peter ...I have searched for it but it does not seem to be accessible from Australia !!!! Would you have a link to it by some chance please.???
    Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by pictureman36 View Post
    although my GG Grandfather was actually a game keeper/farmhand. He only lived until he was 57... .
    Newcastle Evening Chronicle, 25 April 1887
    DEATH OF AN OLD USHAW COLLEGE SERVANT
    Last night there died at Ushaw, Mr Newton Steadman, one of the gamekeepers to the Ushaw College Estate. He had been employed on the college estate for the long period of 32 years, and was well known and widely and deservedly respected all over the country.

St. Cuthbert's College, Ushaw, was a Catholic seminary, with its own chapel (St Aloysius) and cemetery.

Possibility he was buried there?
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Reputation beyond repute

Warwickshire parish registers are on Ancestry. You have to pay to see them. They are even on FamilySearch free of charge, albeit without the image of the actual register.

Her burial is listed in the Atherstone parish burial register. That means she was buried in the burial ground used by the parish church. Is there a churchyard? The satellite picture on Google maps suggests not. Perhaps their usual burial ground was Atherstone Cemetery in Sheepy Road,

10 seconds Googling tells me that Atherstone Cemetery is managed by Atherstone Town Council. You could contact them and ask for a search of the records. Fees are stated on the website.

Hi Peter... Good news .. I have found her. She is buried at the Sheepy Road cemetery, lot number O1161. The O denotes thats hse is buried in what is called the old section, also I have discovered that she died at her daughter Maria's residence in Innage Terrace, Atherstone.
    I am so excited to have found her , we dont know if there is a headstone yet, apparently the family were very poor and like so many others, life was a struggle, She was classified as a washer women right up until she died aged about 84. Her daughter Maria was married to a Hatter. Thanks for your help. regards Sandy

Reputation beyond repute

I have found her
    If you would care to tell us where you found the details, we can all learn something.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    If you would care to tell us where you found the details, we can all learn something.
    Hi Peter... YES,,, I will do that, but first I had better check with the person that gave me the information and the Society she works for, I dont foresee a problem hey,,, but just out of common courtesy I have sent her off an email asking if she minds me revealing who she is as she is volunteer for the organization. When she replies I will pass it all on .. regards Sandy

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Sandy, we would never expect to be told a person's name.
    Usually, records are found on one of the main subscription sites, in which case the answer would be something along the lines of 'FMP, Lincolnshire parish registers browse, Dorrington parish burials'.
    In your instance, it sounds as if the answer will be something similar to 'xxx Family History Society have a research service. A search for one name, in one place, in a two-year period is free, although donations are gratefully received. Longer research is charged for; details on their website'.
    That is very good publicity for any Society or voluntary group.

Personally, donating a minimum of a fiver to any voluntary group for information I'd been unable to find out for myself would be cheap at the price. (I happily did this last year, when I was sent some details for free, but they came with a request for a donation to help cover website and photographic costs.)

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Hi Pam
    ..I guess the organization wont mind hey,,, my dad posted a message in a face book group for Atherstone in regards to descendants of Catherine Baxter, a lady that is a member of that group but helps research through a group called the NNWFHS contacted my dad as she lives in Atherstone. She is really lovely and gave dad heaps of info, But I wont mention her name here as dad did not go through the NNWFHS website for any research. But in visiting the site it has some awesome photos,,, I have been searching now for a photo of Innage Terrace but not a lot of luck. The search goes on
    Thanks heaps Sandy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast