Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    marj

Default George Hatton 1871

Hi

1871 census has George Hatton b.1833 Painter b. Wigan.

he is a convict at Invalid Convict Prison, Knaphill Woking Guildford Surrey.

I am looking for any information as to why he is in prison.

Thank you

Marj

Knowledgeable and helpful

He was convicted 8 November 1865 in Wigan for Larceny and sentenced to 7 years. Described as Rather Delicate by the Surgeon. Images available on findmypast.

Emeltee

marj

Thanks emetee, for the information. My subscription for findmypast has expired hoping to rejoin in the New Year.

Marj

Famous for offering help & advice

Newspaper report describes him as George Morris Hatton, 33, a painter. Indicted for stealing several items of clothing from Joseph Taylor of Hallgate. One of Taylors lodgers had left the house without latching the door, & Mr Taylor’s coat plus other items were later noticed as missing. Between 8 & 9 the same morning PC Atkinson noticed Hatton drunk in the Cross Keys opening with a coat and other articles over his arm. Suspecting he had stolen them, PC Atkinson took him to the police station & it was discovered that he had been selling stockings & other items, which Mrs Atkinson later identified as hers. One of the lodgers also said he had seen Hatton passing the Atkinson property when he had left for work. Found guilty & sentence to 7 years penal servitude.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by marj View Post
    Thanks emetee, for the information. My subscription for findmypast has expired hoping to rejoin in the New Year.

Marj
    Special offer for either a one or three month's sub at half-price. (You get 'offered' one or t'other.)
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/th...nth-sub-on-FMP

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

marj

Thank you Pam & Jomot1, very grateful for your help

Marj

Brick wall demolition expert!

His complete prison and parole record is there - George Morris Hatton - born in 1832.

When you go into FMP search the record set "England & Wales, Crime, Prisons & Punishment, 1770 - 1939". All the records for 1865 are your man.

marj

Happy New Year and thank you Megan for the information. I am helping my granddaughter on her mother side of the family,
    the George Hatton b. 1833 Wigan (no middle name Morris) I have him married to Ellen Cartwright in 1855, occ. painter,
    in 1861 Ellen has a daughter b. 1856 both was living with her mother-in-Law.
    in 1871 Ellen & daughter was living with her brother-in law, both census states married, in 1881 she is a widow.

the George Hatton I found was the one in 1871, I have not been able to find him on the 1861 census,
    1851 George was living with his mother his occupation the was a cabinet maker.

It's a good possibility this George is the one who married Ellen.

Thank you

Marj

Knowledgeable and helpful

The marriage is on the Lancs OPC site. They married 11 August 1856 at St Paul, Warrington. His father was John Hatton, occ Manager and hers was James Cartwright, Sawyer.

Emeltee

Brick wall demolition expert!

It is only in PCOM3 that he is referred to as George Morris Hatton, so although you may not find a middle name elsewhere in your research I would not discount the convict.

PCOM3 is ramped packed full of information.

For instance it tells that he was 33 years old, (and elsewhere gives you his full date of birth) married to Ellen with one child and a painter, and that the 1865 offence was not his first; hence the 7 year sentence. Ellen was living in Tontence St, St. Helens, and it gives details of his previous offences and sentences – there were a number. In those days St. Helens was often described as being near Wigan, and prisoners from Wigan were held at "Kirkdale" gaol, which I think is the fore runner to Walton prison.

It tells you where and when he was incarcerated – it certainly wasn't designed to let his family visit him. It also tells you when he wrote and received letters.

You get his medical record.

You get his prison offences record.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast