Starting to feel at home

Default Stow Hill, Newport

I have a death Certificate for a Richard Whitelock, Mariner, dated 1849, it says he died at Stow Hill and the Informant present at death was Catherine Jones. My question is what was Stow Hill? I think it may have been a workhouse/hospital and if so who would have been Catherine Jones and are there any records held about inmates at that time. Thanking you in anticipation.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

RoyW - I've moved your thread to the Monmouthshire forum before the two mods who live in Wales spot your error and have a severe case of apoplexy.

The workhouse in Newport was on Snow Hill. Details of surviving records and where they're held are at the bottom of this page. https://www.
    workhouses.org.uk/Newport/

Have you searched for Catherine in the 1851 census to see if she's a staff member in the workhouse?

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Starting to feel at home

Thank you for sorting out my error

The 1851 Census reference is HO107 Piece 2452 Folio 295 Page 2 if you want to check for a Catherine Jones.

Another institution on Stow Hill at that time was the Police House of Refuge. Looking at the 1851 Census, (ref HO107 2542 410 17), it includes 2 "seamen" among the inmates. However, I think any stay may have been short lived - possibly overnight only.

J M Scott's "The Ancient and Modern History of Newport, Monmouthshire", published 1847 paints quite a pleasant picture of the Union House (a google books searchable edition is available on line)
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

FindMyPast has the burial record (image) of-

Richard Whitelock, abode - The Hospital, when buried - Nov 16th (1849), age 46, Church - St Woolos
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Starting to feel at home

That burial date does fit the death certificate. It does appear that the Richard who’s death recorded in Newport is the Richard from Whitehaven/Liverpool are one of the same. What should tie it all together is if there is a seaman’s number attached to the Newport death.
    Thank you for the information so far as it opens new channels to follow. Roy

The buildings for The workhouse are still in use as a hospital - I was in the X-Ray department recently. There could be records in the Gwent Archives in Ebbw Vale. Might be worth looking them up. They do have a website now.
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time