Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default WW1 Medical Records

Through searching the "Forces War Records", I find that my late father-in-law was admitted to "34 CCS" in October 1917 and then transferred to "Sick Convoy" on 14 Nov 1917 and repatriated on "No 32 Ambulance Train". His condition was stated as "Neurasthenia"

My question is: Will there be any more detail in any more WW1 records relating to his time at the CCS, and No 342 Ambulance train and, if so, where might I find them.

Also, once back in the UK, would he just have returned home or might he have been hospitalised back in the UK?

I will be grateful for any advice reseived

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums
    Having come to us from FWR reading this will explain why.

Over 60% of WW1 service records were destroyed by bombing/fire in WW11 so it is a very lucky person who finds their ancestors records. What do survive are the Medal Roll Index cards and the Award and Medal records. However it is only very rarely that these contain any personal snippet of information.
    Findmypast and ancestry are the two sites licensed to make these records available online. Both are pay per view but both do have a free library version so it is worthwhile asking your local library if they have one of them.
    If you want to give us your father-in-law's details I will take a look to see what is to be found. Others may be quicker than me.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Thank you Christanel . I do have the relevant Medal Card, which raises yet more questions!

Within the correspondence section is written "Appn for Medals 27.9.23", which I presume to mean "application for medals" and the date of application. But then underneath that entry is what looks like "EFq retdd/5-10-23" . Could that mean that the medals were subsequently returned or is "retdd" an acronym for something else?

EFq retdd - is actually EF9. Officers had to apply for WW1 medals on Form EF9 and in your father-in-law's case the MoD received the form on 5 Oct 1923.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Thank you again Christanel

Default 34 CCS

34 CCS was situated at Zuydcoote ( just outside Dunkirk) from 3.9 1917 to 5 11 1917. 34 CCS looked after casualties from the Nieuport Section of the line.
    Few of the medical records survive but the National Archives does have some records from 34 CCS including the admission and discharge registers. Sadly they have not been digitalised so to see them would mean a personal visit or paying a researcher to check. To see the lists that they hold visit the National Archived website and search 34 Casualty Clearing Station.

Thank you again. The more answers I get, the more questions it raises! My late father-in-law was born on 20 Jul 1896, but was only commissioned on 27 June 1917, when he would have been 21. However, he had previously passed the entrance exam for the Dental School at Manchester University in 1914 at the age of 18. Would university studies have allowed military deferment for 3 years such that he was 21 at the time of his commission?

Loves to help with queries

This article, although it is from Smithsonian refers in particular to a treatment centre in Britain for officers.
    I found it a few days ago, but you hadn't mentioned his rank before; but I notice you have now said he was commisioned.
    The article mentions that files/records from the Lennel centre are still extant in Scotland

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/histo...-war-55376701/

Reputation beyond repute

Have you followed the advice in this research guide?

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/h...rs-after-1913/

Thank you Peter et al. Yes, I have followed the guide and have tracked down the regimental diaries, his medal record card, his silver war badge and most recently the war diary for the ambulance train which evacuated him from Zuydcoote to Boulogne, suffering a derailment and broken coupling en route!! Unfortunately, I cannot track down his full service record but would love to be able to fill in the gap between his repatriation in November and his discharge the following March.

Incidentally, is there any truth in the claim made by Robert Graves that The French Government charges a £200 fee for each journey that ambulance trains made from railhead to base?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast