Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    babilula

Default Forneth House Dunkeld Perthshire

A divorce paper I have was signed at Forneth House Dunkeld on 3 July 1909. Can anyone tell me if this was a Private Dwelling at that time or a public building? and does it still exist? I have tried Royal Mail Postcode finder and it isn't registered. TIA

ziksby

Default This may be it

https://www.old-maps.co.uk/

Forneth House can be found on a map on this site. There is a postcode for it (PH10 6SH), so it must still stand.
    It stands on its own away from any other settlements.

Forneth House
    Forneth
    Blairgowrie
    PH10 6SH

Question

Quote Originally Posted by ziksby
    https://www.old-maps.co.uk/

Forneth House can be found on a map on this site. There is a postcode for it (PH10 6SH), so it must still stand.
    It stands on its own away from any other settlements.

Forneth House
    Forneth
    Blairgowrie
    PH10 6SH
    Blairgowrie is quite a way from Dunkeld. I think we should consider the possibility that there's more than one such house....

ziksby

Lesley
    You may very well be correct, but Blairgowerie is, I believe, just the nearest named postal town. On the map, Forneth House looks to be only 5 or 6 miles from Dunkeld and very near the settlement of Forneth. I have checked my UK-info CD for almost the whole of Perthshire and can find no other current address for Forneth House.
    But someone in the locality with first-hand knowledge (a canny Scot ) will read your post sooner or later and no doubt come up with the goods.

Gules

Default Forneth House

The Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland published in the 1890’s has:

Forneth, a hamlet in Clunie parish, NE Perthshire. 6 mile West by South of Blaigowrie. Rorneth House ½ mile nearere Blaigowrie, crowns a fine elevation on the NW bank of Loch Clunie, and commands a beautiful prospect of the lake, its islest, and surrounding scenes.

The National Archives www.nra.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Has papers of the Speid family of Forneth for the period 1807- 1923

babilula

Smile Forneth House

Thanks everone for your input. Let's hope there is a "local" somewhere out there! It's going to be a while before I can get up that way. Thanks again

Newtown1

Default Forneth House

I passed this yesterday on the road from Dunkeld to Blairgowrie. The hamlet of Forneth is roughly equidistant between the two villages, but Forneth House is actually slightly closer to Blairgowrie.

There certainly didn't seem to be more than one such named property in the vicinity. Although not scientific, I tend to pay close attention to country estates / large houses and this was the only one with a walled garden / estate in the area.

Also, there isn't anything apparent on the Ordnance Survey maps to suggest more than one Forneth House within this area.

Hillocks

Default Forneth House

Forneth house is just over the loch from my farm. It is very much still standing and is owned by a Dutchman who only spends a week or two here every year. It used to be the big hoose for Forneth estate, which is owned by the Douglas Millers who used to own Jenners department store in Edinburgh.

ali7ms

I am new to this site and have just noticed your entry. Is there any chance I could have a copy of these divorce papers . I am a Speid descendant but we know very little aout the pat. Maybe this is why!
    Last edited by ali7ms; 01-03-2011 at 12:13 PM. Reason: typo

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Hi ali7ms, and welcome to the forums!

The person who started this thread hasn't visited the site for a couple of years. You might want to try sending them a private message instead? Just click their blue user-name babilula on the left of their message.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast