Thread: Cleaning Medals

Starting to feel at home

Default Cleaning Medals

I have both my father's and my Polish F-I-L's WW2 medals and would like some advice on how to clean them. They are made of differing metals and am at a loss as how to go about it without spoiling the finish.Thanks for reading. Katarzyna

Starting to feel at home

Edit to above post:

The medals are 1939 -1945 Star, The Atlantic Star, The African Star (with bar France and Germany), 1939-1945 medal with oak leaf, The Defence Medal and one with a warship with diuturne fidelis written underneath - long service medal?
    The Polish ones are the Polska Swemu Obroncy and the Monte Cassino Cross 1944. Also a badge for Polski 2 Korpus

I think cleaning an ancestors medals is a very personal choice. Some want them looking like new while others want them just as they were when their ancestor died.
    Cleaning them up will remove the natural finish and they will become tarnished much quicker.
    I googled 'What is the Atlantic star made from" and got the answer
    The Atlantic Star is a six–pointed star of yellow copper zinc alloy, You can google how to clean it

Here is a link to the WW11 talk site where they discuss this subject.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi

My opinion is if they are just tarnished and not covered with dirt or grime, then leave them as is.

regards

Robert
    Remembering

My Father 1819170 Lance Bombardier Robert Simpson 39/14 L.A.A. R.A.

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    I think cleaning an ancestors medals is a very personal choice. Some want them looking like new while others want them just as they were when their ancestor died.
    Cleaning them up will remove the natural finish and they will become tarnished much quicker.
    I googled 'What is the Atlantic star made from" and got the answer
    The Atlantic Star is a six–pointed star of yellow copper zinc alloy, You can google how to clean it

Here is a link to the WW11 talk site where they discuss this subject.
    Christina
    Yes, I had seen the replies on WW2talk and I had googled first - I always do. As there was so much conflicting advice out there I thought by asking here I would get a definitive answer. Thank you anyway.

There is alsothe question of whether you want to wear them at any memorial service. If so, you could send them to a medal mounting company.
    You could then wear them on your right breast which shows that they belong to a deceased relative.