Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I have now watched four of the programmes and I think it is designed EXACTLY for the people on the show. They have a family story and they want to know if it's true. They have the same name as a celebrity and want to know if they are related.

It is lightweight daytime TV done totally with Ancestry (and as far as I can see) no other source. Purely entertainment.

Guy Etchells: Yes I did get more than they show on screen. I had a free DNA test and a long chat with Brad Argent about the Genetic genealogy ......... He works for Ancestry and is a really nice person.

My programme is due for broadcast on 20th December - I might have already said that LOL. The company that made the programme is based in Ireland So I had great fun trying to a)remember. and b) pronounce the name of the lovely boy who was the assistant to the man with the camera.
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

I suspect that we're looking at the programme with different eyes to the normal viewer. It is, as Ladkyis says, 'lightweight daytime TV' which is OK, but I want a bit more information. e.g. when they were talking about finding a divorce petition I would like them to have said 'such-and-such an archive has copies of divorce petitions from 1832 to 1932 and we found xxx'. (Though I did learn that originally in divorce cases any children over the age of seven were automatically given into the custody of their father.)

And, yes, I was shouting just as loudly as the rest of you when people hadn't purchased BMD certificates, searched for siblings, or looked in parish registers.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Starting to feel at home

Sounds like you had a great time! It may be lightweight but we all had to start somewhere and if it gets more people hooked on genealogy....
    I will be watching and cheering you on from nearby Chepstow.

That's my point exactly. I believe the Federation of Family History Societies (FFHS) was involved and the questions on the show are EXACTLY the questions that cause people to arrive at a meeting of a local FHS. They want to know the answer and they have googled and got nowhere.
    When I was on the committee of our local FHS I used to try and get across that we should be trying to answer those questions by helping the newcomer to research (not doing it for them) and showing them how much fun it can be going through unindexed records deep into the night (you can hear the irony in my voice can't you).
    For the most part the people on the show don't have great knowledge of genealogy research and, to be quite frank, they don't care. They have just one question and when that is answered they will pass on the information to their family and then move on.
    If they show a certificate on the programme I think it is one that the subject has purchased. If they show any document it is either on Ancestry or available free. I am fortunate that my question could only be answered by DNA and a cousin had already uploaded her DNA to Ancestry so they could work from her results and compare them to mine. I will receive my results when my segment has been broadcast.
    What I am saying here is that while we "experts" might think about scoffing at the programme because it doesn't give details of how to research and where to research it is like Antiques Roadshow but with ancestors. The experts don't tell you which books to buy or which salerooms to frequent for antiques (not on screen anyway) and so they do the same for ancestors.
    It is lighthearted daytime TV and in that arena it doesn't do too badly at all.

Don't knock it 'til you've tried it should be the watchword here I think
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladkyis View Post

Don't knock it 'til you've tried it should be the watchword here I think
    That is just a little bit like the old punch cartoon about the curate's egg :-)
    www.jeaned.net
    [url]https://edmck.blogspot.co.uk[url]

And you have all got time to watch daytime TV??? What about all those hens to milk?

Cheers. Ed
    www.jeaned.net

Ed at 72 years of age my hen milking days have passed. You young folk will just have to record all the good programmes and watch them in the evening LOL

Knowledgeable and helpful

well I enjoyed it even though more info on each would be nice for such as us who research all the time...……..but really these programs are to get people interested in doing more research and as with all these programmes it usually does and as we all find the subscription sites useful it keeps everyone happy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ladkyis View Post
    Ed at 72 years of age my hen milking days have passed. You young folk will just have to record all the good programmes and watch them in the evening LOL
    72 is no age at all these days, I went past that years ago and I am still milking. Not necessarily the hens, you understand, but I do my best with the old jokes.

Cheers. Ed
    www.jeaned.net

Just a quick update. The programme that features me is on today - Thursday at 1pm. I have now received the results of my DNA test. This was used to answer my question. I am not a bit surprised by the results as it says I am 57% Ireland and Scotland 27% England, Wales and Northwestern Europe, 12% European Jewish, 3% Norway (tis is my Norman heritage LOL) 1% Germanic Europe

I am a little surprised not to have a teeny tiny amount of Sub Saharan African but perhaps I didn't get that gene.

All in all it is as I had predicted because all the ancestors I have found so far have come from one of those places - mostly Ireland.

Now I would love to persuade one of my children to do the test to see how much Iberian peninsula and Sub Saharan Africa they have inherited from their father.

This is just so interesting! I know what I will be doing today LOL

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast