Default Help finding WW2 records for specific soldier

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could provide some advice. My grandfather served as a soldier in WW2 and I would like to find any information/records held for him but don't know how to go about it. I have limited information on him e.g. I don't know his service number or his unit. All I know is that he fought in Burma against the Japanese and received the war medal 1939-1945 and 1929-1945 star. He was a Scottish solider, born in the Edinburgh area and may have possibly been a POW. I have checked forces war records but can't seem to find anything. Is there anywhere else I can look or anyone I can contact? Based on this information, is there anyway to determine his precise unit? Any advice you could give would be much appreciated. TIA.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello, and welcome to British-Genealogy.

Service records for personnel who served after 1921 are still held by the Ministry of Defence.
    Details of how to apply, and what to send (application forms, death certificate, thirty quid) can be found here
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/th...757#post585757

You will need either his date of birth and/or his service number. If you don't have either (depending on when he died, his birth date might be on his death certificate) you will need to obtain a copy of his birth certificate from
    ScotlandsPeople.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi

You can also check with MOD medals for his full medal entitlement-
    https://www.gov.uk/apply-medal-or-ve...ly-for-a-medal - use the email there and ask them just for his entitlement.

regards

Robert

PS I am sure he would be entitled to more than the two you mentioned - look here
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/medals-c...nd-eligibility
    Remembering

My Father 1819170 Lance Bombardier Robert Simpson 39/14 L.A.A. R.A.

Hi Guys,

Thank you both for your responses. I have now ordered his death certificate so that I can request the service records through the MOD. I don't know how to give thanks on this site or reply directly so apologies for that but your help has very much been appreciated.

Whilst on the subject, are any of you guys aware if the MOD records could include photographs? If not, could you provide any advice on how to access any images for my granddad?

Thanks again,
    Daniel

Hi,

Thanks for your help! I have now ordered his death certificate so that I can request the service records through the MOD.

Whilst on the subject, are any of you guys aware if the MOD records could include photographs? If not, could you provide any advice on how to access any images for my granddad?

Thanks
    Daniel

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi

I would think not, the only thing would be if someone took a photo of him (and tagged him) somewhere and it is at a museum or in a local newspaper.

regards

Robert
    Remembering

My Father 1819170 Lance Bombardier Robert Simpson 39/14 L.A.A. R.A.