Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default John Howe Honour WW1

I am searching for WW1 military records for John Howe Honour. John was born 1 June 1880 in Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, to parents Alfred Honour and Susannah Howe Seamons. He was an only child. John had a leg injury which was suppose to be from the war. He brought his family to Canada in 1928. I don't have much more information to help me find his military records. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reputation beyond repute

Have a look on Ancestry while it's still free, I can see a service record that might be your man.

I have a membership with Ancestry...and have not found John Howe Honour's service record there. What name are you looking at?

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums CarolRH
    I think you may have come to us from Forces War Records so reading this will explain our connection.

ancestry and Findmypast are the two pay per view sites licensed to make WW1 service records available on the internet. Also 60% plus of WW1 service records were destroyed by fire/bombing in WW11 so it is a lucky person who finds their ancestors surviving record. The Medal Index cards and Award and medal recods survive because these were stored separately. It is very rarely that the Medal Roll Index cards have a smidgeon of personal information.

I have taken a look on ancestry and so far the only reference to a John Honour of Buckinghamshire in the service records and pension records is for a John Honour, father of Esau William Honour. There are others with middle names and an Arthur John in the Bucks regiment but again nothing to identify them.
    The medal roll Index cards have one John Honour in the Rifle Brigade but nothing to identify him
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Thank you for explaining the forums. I have searched for John Howe Honour's military records for a very long time. I think they must have been destroyed by fires and bombing...as you also suggested they might have been. I continue to hope to find something...but it doesn't sound like I will find anything. I have seen Ancestry's records too...but none of those are the John Howe Honour I search for. He njured his leg in the war...so I hoped to find a medical record or something to do with that injury...but haven't had any luck with that either.

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

As far as I can see, nothing regarding WW1 service or Medals index. He was born Weedon(cum Hardwick), not Aylesbury, Bucks.

He should have been in the Medals index, if WW1 records were destroyed.!

Steve.
    Too many bones, too much sorrow, but until I am dead, there's always tomorrow.

Loves to help with queries

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    Have a look on Ancestry while it's still free, I can see a service record that might be your man.
    FMP has a CGC record for a JH Honour so it maybe that there were 2 different JH's.
    I wonder if the leg injury the OP mentions could actually have predated the war and thus excluded him from service.
    Family stories often mislead as well as inform. I had someone who we were told didn't return from WWI and it turned out he didn't return from S Africa 1901.

I tried looking in the Medal Roll Index cards using J Hono*r which brought up those written as Honor as well, with a return of 9 records but none with a middle initial of H.
    There are two with the initial J, one in the Royal Fusiliers, Intelligence Corps and the other in the Rifle Brigade (Prince Consort´s Own)
    I can't even find a Medal Roll Index card for the John Honour with father Thomas using the service numbers from his service record.

I see that John H, his wife Mary and their children emigrated to Canada in 1928 John having been there previously 1906 - 1909.
    Harriet age 16 born
    Philip 15

Mary Ann 13 born c1915
    HONOUR, ANNA MARY mother's maiden name BOURTON
    GRO Reference: 1914 Sept Quarter in AYLESBURY Vol 3A Page 2059

Kathleen 11 born 1917
    HONOUR, KATHLEEN ANNIE mother's maiden name BOURTON
    GRO Reference: 1917 June Quarter in AYLESBURY Vol 3A Page 1474

Margaret 6

Ordering Mary Ann's and or Kathleen's birth certificates would give you John H's occupation during the war years and if you are lucky enough, if he was in the army, may even give his regiment.

You order certificates from the GRO here using the information exactly as it is recorded in their index. You have to sign up to the site but it costs you nothing to join, just to buy the certificates and the GRO is the cheapest site from which to purchase them.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Ooops. Apologies, I forgot to cross-refer this thread to a more recent, duplicate, one started by CarolRH which I have now closed.

Please continue to post replies in this thread but see also
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...hn-Howe-Honour

Pam
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 02-12-2019 at 6:56 AM. Reason: Corrected link to other thread
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    I tried looking in the Medal Roll Index cards using J Hono*r which brought up those written as Honor as well, with a return of 9 records but none with a middle initial of H.
    There are two with the initial J, one in the Royal Fusiliers, Intelligence Corps and the other in the Rifle Brigade (Prince Consort´s Own)
    I can't even find a Medal Roll Index card for the John Honour with father Thomas using the service numbers from his service record.

I see that John H, his wife Mary and their children emigrated to Canada in 1928 John having been there previously 1906 - 1909.
    Harriet age 16 born
    Philip 15

Mary Ann 13 born c1915
    HONOUR, ANNA MARY mother's maiden name BOURTON
    GRO Reference: 1914 Sept Quarter in AYLESBURY Vol 3A Page 2059

Kathleen 11 born 1917
    HONOUR, KATHLEEN ANNIE mother's maiden name BOURTON
    GRO Reference: 1917 June Quarter in AYLESBURY Vol 3A Page 1474

Margaret 6

Ordering Mary Ann's and or Kathleen's birth certificates would give you John H's occupation during the war years and if you are lucky enough, if he was in the army, may even give his regiment.

You order certificates from the GRO here using the information exactly as it is recorded in their index. You have to sign up to the site but it costs you nothing to join, just to buy the certificates and the GRO is the cheapest site from which to purchase them.

Christina
    Hi Christina. Yes that is the Honour family I am researching. They came to Canada in 1928. I did order those birth certificates from GRO a few days ago. It will take time, even to get PDF copies in an email. I am hoping they have some information about John Howe Honour's occupation.

John Howe Honour's was born in 1880 in Buckinghamshire and his parents were Alfred Honour and Susannah Seamons. He was an only child.

I can't find any record for this John Howe Honour. Considering he was injured in WW1, there should be some record of that.

Carol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast