Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hi Carol
    in your first post on this thread you say " John had a leg injury which was suppose to be from the war'"

So we don't know that he actually served in WW1? No photos of him in uniform? Only the family story that he got the injury serving his country.
    I see in 1911 he was a farm labourer and on the ship's manifest in 1928 his occupation was farmer so it could be that he was not required to serve.
    List C says those in agricultural occupations were not required to serve but I think you had to actually front up to a tribunal and fight your case - possibly with the help of your employer.
    The birth certificates will be interesting.Please do come back and let us know what they say when you receive them
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

Or, his injury was just family folk lore, to explain his injury.

Perhaps he never served, and it's just a story. Family 'facts', maybe taken with a pinch of salt, unless proven.

He could have been, 'bigging himself up', to impress.

Steve.
    Too many bones, too much sorrow, but until I am dead, there's always tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Hi Carol
    in your first post on this thread you say " John had a leg injury which was suppose to be from the war'"

So we don't know that he actually served in WW1? No photos of him in uniform? Only the family story that he got the injury serving his country.
    I see in 1911 he was a farm labourer and on the ship's manifest in 1928 his occupation was farmer so it could be that he was not required to serve.
    List C says those in agricultural occupations were not required to serve but I think you had to actually front up to a tribunal and fight your case - possibly with the help of your employer.
    The birth certificates will be interesting.Please do come back and let us know what they say when you receive them
    Christina

True enough...we don't know for sure that he actually served. There aren't any photos of him in uniform. There is only the family story to go by right now, especially the part of his leg injury. He could have been injured before the war and didn't serve. He could have been a farmer and wasn't required to serve. There are so many possibilities. Family has passed on and there is no one to ask anymore. So I am hoping the birth certificates prove something. I certainly will come back and let you know what information is on them.

So many possibilities. He could have been injured before the war...and couldn't serve. Or he helped as a farmer providing food. Or it could be that he never served at all. I really want to try to confirm what his position in WW1 was...if any. One way or the other, would be great to know.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12