Thread: Llanfihangel

Loves to help with queries

Default Llanfihangel

I am looking for some local expertise for the naming of the two Llanfihangel parishes in Aberystwyth District.

Was either Genau'r Glyn or y Creuddyn known colloquially as " Llanfihangel" ?

I have good reason to ask as I have my John Jones born 1798/99, in 1851 Middlesex census, as born in Llanfihangel Cardiganshire which gives me a huge headache! On his death cert in May 1860 he was age 62 and he was 52 on the census.

The question occured to me when I looked through 1841/51 census pages for any folk in L.Creuddyn and their place of birth is just noted as "Llanfihangel". Was there a local convention that y Creuddyn was known just as Llanfihangel, and could this be extrapolated to the Middlesex census ?

( this is aimed at Cardiganshire experts - see my other thread - https://www.british-genealogy.com/th...st-names-Wales)

Famous for offering help & advice

This is a useful site which may be of use.

https://www.genuki.org.uk

Llanfihangel translates into English as St Michael's Church so the word is usually followed by a place-name. For example here in South East Wales we have Llanvihangel Llantarnam, Llanfihangel Tor-y-Mynydd and many more.

I realise this doesn't make your task any easier and I suspect that the census says Llanfihangel because the enumerator was not Welsh and didn't know what the word meant so didn't put the actual place name onto the book. The locals would probably just call the place by the name and not use the Llanfihangel at all unless talking to strangers.

Sorry to be the bringer of hard work
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Oh well I shall just give up...easier said than done!. If parish of origin is not stated anywhere, can I salvage anything from naming convention.

What does Ladkyis think can possibly be derived from John Jones' children's names ?
    His children were named, in order of birth,
    JOHN THOMAS JONES 1822
    THOMAS JONES 1824
    ANN 1826
    MARY 1829
    ELIZABETH 1831
    WILLIAM 1836
    GEORGE 1838

His wife was Winifred, parents John and Mary

What name/s can be thought likely for John's father ?

I think you'll have to search through the parish registers for each and every parish in that area and then try to research forwards to see if the names you have found turn out to be yours. This is what most Welsh researchers have to do, I have been along that path in Pembrokeshire and Carmarthenshire So I am sending you some welsh cwtches (like hugs but with a welsh accent) to give you the strength to press on.
    I have no idea how to guess the father's name
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

I gather the Welsh were pretty fiercely faithful to the naming conventions so that first son would be named after the fathers father etc.
    I am stuck still with trying to work out the probable parents name for John Jones born 1798 in Cardiganshire. He married Winifred from Gloucestrshire in 1821 and their children were

His children were named, in order of birth,
    JOHN THOMAS JONES 1822
    THOMAS JONES 1824
    ANN 1826
    MARY 1829
    ELIZABETH 1831
    WILLIAM 1836
    GEORGE 1838

His wife was Winifred, parents John and Mary

What name/s can be thought likely for John's father ? FMP have yet to put registers online for the area John came from (Llanfihangel geneur glyn or y Creuddyn) Are there naming experts able to help please?