Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Worcester Archives at the Hive

Has anyone been to the archives for parish registers at the above. I haven't been to Worcester Archives for years. I have rung them and been told I can just turn up and help myself staff not available till 10,30am. If I arrive too late then I wont get parked so intend going for 9,30am. It appears to be self service and first come first service for readers. I am led to believe registers are on microfilm. Hope to go Thursday this week. Any advice useful I have a current Carn card. I really don't find the information on line very good.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Good grief, what a terribly unhelpful website. I know sometimes you have to dig a bit to find, for example, exactly where a record office has 'hidden' its list of PR holdings, but apart from old newspapers I couldn't see a dicky about anything remotely connected with family history in their so-called list of 'collections'. (Though there is one bit I can't access on my tablet, and all the stuff might be in that bit.)

Think it was in a Lost Cousins newsletter where I read that some (all?) archives are discontinuing the CARN ticket, so you might want to take the ID you need for applying for a library card. Will try to find the article later.

Added: Found it quicker than expected. Newsletter dated 24 May. Seems all CARN tickets 'expire' end of November 2018.
    https://www.lostcousins.com/newslett...m#ArchivesCard

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Hi Pam Thank you for your reply I am glad it wasn't me I have just visited Birmingham archives and was issued with my Carn ticket last week nothing was mentioned it was stopping. Still I can take ID driving licence and a council tax bill. It said I could take a bank statement for Birmingham (I don't think so!) I wont be impressed if I cant get parked and end up going around the ring road. Its open at 8.30am and I wont be driving through the rush hour to get there for 8.30 would take about 2 hours by public transport and 45 minutes by car. Wish me luck I can only turn up and see whats what failing getting a reader I will go Christmas Shopping.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Jane Gee View Post
    Hi Pam Thank you for your reply I am glad it wasn't me I have just visited Birmingham archives and was issued with my Carn ticket last week nothing was mentioned it was stopping. Still I can take ID driving licence and a council tax bill. It said I could take a bank statement for Birmingham (I don't think so!) I wont be impressed if I cant get parked and end up going around the ring road. Its open at 8.30am and I wont be driving through the rush hour to get there for 8.30 would take about 2 hours by public transport and 45 minutes by car. Wish me luck I can only turn up and see whats what failing getting a reader I will go Christmas Shopping.
    Perhaps Birmingham are going to continue with the CARN system. Will have to ask Peter Calver if he's heard anything more.

Bit in bold - It's always handy to have a Plan B though let's hope you're not reduced to using it.

Perhaps you could report back after your visit and tell us what you found about how the archives operates.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

A fountain of knowledge

Hi Jane,
    You won't need the CARN pass to view the PR microfilms, you only need that to view original documents.
    You only need a library ticket if you want to use the computer's free access to Ancestry AND FindMyPast.
    The microfilms are in cabinets at the far end of the room to the left as you enter the viewer room and include most parishes also newspapers in first two cabinets, if memory serves.

Good luck in your research,
    Malcolm.

I will do I have a plan B for parking luckily know Worcester city fairly well.

Jane

Hi Jane,

Also there is the county marriage index by BMSGH. Search by Bride or Groom pre-1837. It's on the shelves in book form.

The county burial index (BMSGH again), although now on FindMyPast, was submitted to the National Burial Index. This national index was on CD and has a very useful search engine, quite different from FMP. I think they have a copy.

Malvern FHS did the county Baptism Index. That should be there too.

Before you set off, check FamilySearch, which has quite good coverage.

Mike

A fountain of knowledge

Further Info

Just remembered that there are two viewers with scanning/print capabilities, you will need a library ticket to use these. However they may be unavailable as they were in constant use whenever I visited. I had to get there at opening time to bag one and I'm afraid I hogged it for four hrs. You can save copies as PDFs or jpegs to USB or to file in personal library a/c. There is a charge for prints, OK if you only want one or two, otherwise I recommend saving to USB.

Hi Mike
    Thanks that's brilliant advice l I will certainly look at this I have checked for some people on Family Search but they are a complicated lot with combinations of spelling for one surname and most children with no father. I want to try to do a bit more searching before I post on the Brick walls thread.

That's great advice did you go by car? If so which car park did you use. Unforunately the Park and Ride I would have used has been closed. I can drive two ways to get to Worcester City hope the traffic will be lighter as the children are on holidays. USB sounds good too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast