Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    A fountain of knowledge

I used the Grandstand car park opposite the Hive, mainly because it has no height barriers and has a few oversize spaces, I was in a 20ft motorhome and would have had to pay for two spaces otherwise, arrival by 8am to grab one of those recommended, otherwise there are usually spaces available. Follow Lorry/Coach Park signs.
    There is a footpath/crossing alongside the viaduct.
    Last edited by macwil; 31-10-2018 at 9:51 AM. Reason: Added info.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Did you use a memory stick to download anything ie parish register page and (don't laugh at me) how do you do it as I will probably be there early and no one to help I will have to do this on my own. I haven't needed to do this before.

A fountain of knowledge

I was afraid that you would ask that!
    Yes I did save PRs, about 100Mbs, over several visits.
    It's not complicated, just difficult to explain without the m/c and microfilm in front of me. The screen uses those picture buttons that I call idiotgrams, because only an idiot understands the logic behind them.
    However there are operating crib sheets by the m/cs, if I remember correctly; it's a year since I last visited.
    There are assistants in the arrival lobby from opening who will show you where to go and how to operate the ordinary viewers but whether you find one that knows how to operate those two particular viewers is pot luck I'm afraid.
    However I would recommend using the ordinary viewers first to find the particular PR films that you would like to copy, take a notebook and list everything you find you want.

Thanks so like good advice I have bought a new usb flash drive today and will take it with me just in case. I will only go for a few hours and can always go again as I have other things to look at too. Will no doubt be more than one visit to Worcester and Birmingham too.

A fountain of knowledge

Hi Jane,
    I have sent you a PM.
    Regards,
    Malcolm.

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Jane Gee View Post
    . . . I will only go for a few hours and can always go again . .
    It is easy to overdo it, one gets so involved time flies.
    I found my limit was 4hrs before information overload, eyestrain and general fatigue set in, a cup of coffee, a bite to eat and I was good for another 2hrs max.
    So yes, plan on multiple visits.

Well have been to Worcester there for 8.00am so found a coffee shop and back to Hive for 8.30 when I got there no staff about anywhere so found a reader and got on with it luckily I know the procedure easy to find microfilms. Got settled after a bit the guy opposite had a cleaner friend who worked at the archives turned up he was supposed to be cleaning the machines ie cleaning glass but they spent ages putting the world to rights and talking about kids I was nearly on the verge of saying something. Then someone was on their phone loud enough for me to hear that went on for 15 minutes if not longer. Then to cap it all a young child was screaming which went on for ages and people arrived with some young children wandering around the room but didn't seem to be there for any purpose. A far cry from the old record office at Spetchley where it was lovely and quiet and staff on hand. I didn't find anything as such disappointing but just told myself that its to ticked off the to do list. after 3 and a half hours I had had enough and left. I need to look at what I have done and whats to do next and try again in a couple of weeks. I could have given feed back may next time if I get a repeat. No one asked to see a ticket of any description I guess that's because I wasn't looking at original documents.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12