Starting to feel at home

Default Will of John Wiseman of Great Canfield 1558.

I have just downloaded the will of John Wiseman of Great Canfield, who died in 1558, from the National Archives.

I am interested in how he disposed of his estate, particularly ex monastic land in Leicestershire. The will is eight pages long, and is rather difficult to decipher.

Has any one transcribed this will? (A long shot I know) Or are there any tips on transcribing the document?

The will is mentioned in his biography in the History of Parliament, authors Thorpe and Swales 1982. so some one has looked at it in the recent past.

Thanks in advance for any help or comments.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Try this https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/p...hy/default.htm

One of the example documents is from 1554.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

It might be worth your taking a look at the account-free area of Scotland’s People. They have a section on how to read Secretary Hand, which I suspect might be the cause of your problem. It was an early form of shorthand involving standardized abbreviations (usually included as superscript) used in a lot of legal documents.

Starting to feel at home

Just an update on my progress so far. Both the guides mentioned were indeed invaluable in transcribing this will. I first of all printed the will, each line was then numbered and on a separate numbered sheet I then went line by line looking for words I was fairly sure I could read correctly. By comparing these words with the guides I built up an "alphabet" where the letters in the will varied from the guide. Then the difficult words were picked apart. As more words were deciphered the sentences also became clearer which helped translate more of the will. This made an intriguing puzzle for all the family! I have now moved on from 1658 to 1619 so the process starts all over. So thanks again for your help.,

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Thanks for the update, and also for your method of how you solved the problem.
    Hope you have the same success with the 1619 will.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Well done! I tend to use a red pen on an A3 print out, but otherwise a similar approach.