Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Default Adelaide Marjorie Humphrey missing since 1930

I am looking for any information about a lady called Adelaide Marjorie Humphrey, but I have very little information about her.This is what I know:
    On 24th August 1920 she married Albert Fry at the register Office in Ticehurst, East Sussex. Her father was Albert Humphrey (Deceased) engine driver. One of the witnesses was Gertrude Alice Humphrey. She had two children Clarence Joseph Fry 1922, and Iris Fry 1928. She left her family when her daughter was approx two years old and was never heard of again. Her husband eventually had her declared dead so he could re-marry.

Even if I cannot find out what became of her it would be interesting to find out where she came from and who her family were. According to the marriage certificate she was 20 years old and a spinster. I do not know her date of birth. I have found records for an Adelaide Mary, but nothing for Adelaide Marjorie.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Could this be her?

Adelaide M HUMPHREY m. Brinley WINMAN 1950 Uckfield, Sussex, Q3 5H 885.

Peter

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

How old was Albert on the marriage certificate? What was his occupation, and the name and occupation of his father?

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by elsinore View Post
    Could this be her?

Adelaide M HUMPHREY m. Brinley WINMAN 1950 Uckfield, Sussex, Q3 5H 885.

Peter
    There's a child of that marriage born in 1954. The Adelaide who married Albert Fry was allegedly 20 when she married him in 1920, which would make her 54 in 1954, so highly unlikely, though not impossible, to be a mother then. Brinley, said to have been born in 1929, died in 2012 while the other occupant of his house in the electoral rolls, Winifred Winman, died in 2013, aged 83.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Famous for offering help & advice

A possible for Gertrude Alice Humphrey is the one who married Baden George Pelham in Tonbridge 1922, and died in 1927 aged 26.

A possible birth for her is in Portsmouth in 1902 (as Humphry) mmn Phillips, although the census shows her father to be James R, a joiner born c1862, Chichester. James had a brother named Albert Thomas b 1866, but he was very much alive in 1920 so this may not be the correct family.

It may be worth ordering the 1922 marriage certificate to see whether Adelaide was a witness and to establish who Gertrude's father was, which may help to establish the relationship between the two girls.

Quote Originally Posted by Jomot1 View Post
    A possible for Gertrude Alice Humphrey is the one who married Baden George Pelham in Tonbridge 1922, and died in 1927 aged 26.

A possible birth for her is in Portsmouth in 1902 (as Humphry) mmn Phillips, although the census shows her father to be James R, a joiner born c1862, Chichester. James had a brother named Albert Thomas b 1866, but he was very much alive in 1920 so this may not be the correct family.

It may be worth ordering the 1922 marriage certificate to see whether Adelaide was a witness and to establish who Gertrude's father was, which may help to establish the relationship between the two girls.
    I think the GAH born 1902 in Portsmouth married Ernest T Howe in Portsmouth registration district Sept qrt 1927, they are on the 1939 register in Portsmouth, Gertrude's birth date is 21st Sept 1902.

So, we need to find an alternative birth for the GAH who married Baden George Pelham.
    Alma

Kent & Sussex Courier 30 August 1946, Messrs Walker Templer and Thomson, Solicitors of 139, High St, Tonbridge, enquiring if anyone knows the whereabouts of Adelaide Marjorie Fry nee Humphrey since January 1931.
    Alma

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    I am looking for any information about a lady called Adelaide Marjorie Humphrey, but I have very little information about her.This is what I know:
    On 24th August 1920 she married Albert Fry at the register Office in Ticehurst, East Sussex. Her father was Albert Humphrey (Deceased) engine driver. One of the witnesses was Gertrude Alice Humphrey. She had two children Clarence Joseph Fry 1922, and Iris Fry 1928. She left her family when her daughter was approx two years old and was never heard of again. Her husband eventually had her declared dead so he could re-marry.

Even if I cannot find out what became of her it would be interesting to find out where she came from and who her family were. According to the marriage certificate she was 20 years old and a spinster. I do not know her date of birth. I have found records for an Adelaide Mary, but nothing for Adelaide Marjorie.
    Apart from AMH being named at marriage there doesn't appear to be any other records online for her, at the very least I'd expect to find her in the GRO index. According to her age on her marriage certificate she ought to be on both the 1901 and 1911 census, perhaps with a father who was an engine driver and named Albert. I've searched all Albert Humphrey/Humphreys/Humphrie/Humphries etc without finding an engine driver who could have been AMH's father. This leads me to think that either sometime after birth there was a name change, or she wasn't born in England, Wales, Scotland, IOM or IOW. However, if she was born and lived for some time outside the UK surely that would have been mentioned in the newspaper article searching for her whereabouts, a foreign accent could have helped the search.

Gertrude Alice Humphrey is also proving difficult to pin down, and we don't know for sure her approx year of birth. Although the marriage to Baden George Pelham does look promising, but at this stage not conclusive. I do think she's a strong contender though as she too cannot be found in GRO index or census returns, if her age at death is correct she would have been born 1901 approx. If the two ladies are sisters we need to try and find an Adelaide Marjorie/Marjory/Margery/Margory and Gertrude/Gertie Alice of the right age and together on a census return, but with a different surname to Humphrey, alternatively could it be their first names which have changed, perhaps they didn't like their given names! I think it more likely, if there has been a change of name, that the surname changed.

I'll keep looking, for now it's got me beat but I won't give up just yet
    Alma

Famous for offering help & advice

There is a newspaper report on 27 August 1926 about Baden George Pelham having deserted his wife, Gertrude Alice Pelham aged 30. His address was given as 14 Normanton Road, Tonbridge Wells, and her as 30 Waterloo Road, Tonbridge. They had married 11 Nov 1922 at Tunbridge Wells Registry Office.

Kent & Sussex Courier 7 January 1927
    Obituary
    The death occurred on Sunday at the age of 26 years of Mrs. Gertrude Alice Pelham of 30 Waterloo rd Tunbridge. The funeral will take place at the Tonbridge cemetery today (Friday).
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast