Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I typed Adelaide Marjorie Fry in to a search engine and the first one to come up was on the findagrave site. Whether she is anything to do with your Adelaide Marjorie or not I don't know but she seems to be a bit of a mystery to the posters. Known as Marjorie Fry but has a child with Albert Meager without being married to him. The child is registered in the name of Meager but evidently is known by the surname Fry as indicated on his gravestone.She then has another child with the surname Boardman and she known as Madge Boardman then another in 1935 in Manchester, who's birth reg I am not sure of.
    The question being was she born a Fry or is she using the surname of a first husband Fry. Her death was registered as Margery Fry 1946 age 46. Take a look here.
    It all sounds as complicated as your lot
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    I typed Adelaide Marjorie Fry in to a search engine and the first one to come up was on the findagrave site. Whether she is anything to do with your Adelaide Marjorie or not I don't know but she seems to be a bit of a mystery to the posters. Known as Marjorie Fry but has a child with Albert Meager without being married to him. The child is registered in the name of Meager but evidently is known by the surname Fry as indicated on his gravestone.She then has another child with the surname Boardman and she known as Madge Boardman then another in 1935 in Manchester, who's birth reg I am not sure of.
    The question being was she born a Fry or is she using the surname of a first husband Fry. Her death was registered as Margery Fry 1946 age 46. Take a look here.
    Christina
    Following on from this I googled Marjorie Fry Boardman and it took me to a genes reunited thread entitled Looking for my husbnd's Uncle - possibly Ireland.
    This was long and complicated and I have yet to read it properly but it included a child of the family born 1937 with mmn Humphrey. I think worth checking out.

https://www.
    genesreunited.co.uk/boards/bo

Quote Originally Posted by grisel View Post
    Following on from this I googled Marjorie Fry Boardman and it took me to a genes reunited thread entitled Looking for my husbnd's Uncle - possibly Ireland.
    This was long and complicated and I have yet to read it properly but it included a child of the family born 1937 with mmn Humphrey. I think worth checking out.
    I've just read it and I agree. The timeline certainly fits, as do several of the names. Great find.

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Christina
    Chris, this is interesting and she could be the lady being searched for. Find a Grave mentions she was born in Ireland. I did check the Irish census 1901/1911 but didn't find her, it was late last night and I didn't search using alternative spellings for Humphrey. My evening meal is almost ready, I'll be back later.
    Alma

A good find grisel. I had to abandon the search for a while - not to mention try to get my head around all the info.
    Hopefully Diamond will come back and tell us their thoughts.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Starting to feel at home

Thank you for all the help with this lady.
    Her daughter Iris is 90 years old and has always wondered who her mother was. I could not understand how someone can appear to get married and then disappear completely after being married and having two children. The 90 year lady I am trying to help with this has never even seen a picture of what her mother looked like. She has no memory of her mother, as she was only two when she left. Her older brother had few memories and has now passed away. I think she will be happy to know that so many people on this forum are trying to help.
    I could not find Adelaide Marjorie Fry nee Humphrey in any census records or birth records so maybe she was Irish. This was a brick wall I could not pass. I will look into the wedding witness who was probably her sister. I will pass all your findings onto the family and report back in a few days.

The find a grave information that Christina found has a photo of that Adelaide Marjorie, who may or may not turn out to be Iris's mother .

Looking through the genes reunited thread it seems to suggest that their Adelaide Marjorie/Marjorie was from an Irish family but had a cockney accent. So may have neen born in Ireland or England. She had several children and gave maiden name as Fry, Meagher, Murphy and Humphrey on the various birth certificates.
    She had the first child with an Albert Meager in London and others with a John Boardman in Hull and Manchester from memory. She appears with John Boardman in 1939. She did not marry him or Albert Meager. At some point the children went into a children's home and became separated.
    So far I can't find her in 1901 or 1911 in England or Ireland under any variants of her name! Or her sister..

So far I can't find her in 1901 or 1911 in England or Ireland under any variants of her name! Or her sister..
    Me neither, Grisel. I did look for an Adelaide Marjorie and Gertrude Alice together, and without the middle names, I searched without a surname as I'm not convinced Humphrey was their birth surname. Perhaps I should look for a Marjorie and Alice together! I also searched for an Albert engine driver, but had no luck in pinning him down.

I'm in the middle of reading the thread on GR, still got lots of it to read through. What a tangled web, eh!

Well done Grisel on finding the thread
    Alma

Thanks really due to Christina for finding the findagrave record!

Rereading the gr post - Michael Fry was born oct 1930 and the address was home for single mothers. She gave the father as Albert Meager of the same address, but that seems unlikely. I wonder if Albert was partly fictional? Maybe she got pregnant in Sussex and left the family home to have the baby in London? Perhaps the baby was Albert Fry"s but the marriage had broken down. Or a Mr Meager not called Albert. I can't find a suitable Albert Meager/Meagher so far. It is an Irish name though.
    So many possibilities to speculate about!

Also she often gives a mmn of Murphy - but I haven't got anywhere with that either.
    I wonder if the 1921 census will yield some answers.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast