Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Smile Peter Fraser - where are you !

From the other ocean, we are looking for Peter Fraser who came to Canada, we don't know when if he came with his father Alexander Fraser (1729-1799) and mother Mary Hay (1738-1789) (but again we are not sure). We can have everything in Canada, but we are not able to do the link with Scotland and Canada.

What we have is
    12 Sep 1755 • Inverness, Inverness-shire, Scotland
    14 MAR 1801 - Married Josephte CHASSE at St. Andrews Presbyterian Church, Quebec City, Quebec, Canada
    Children: Malcolm, Sophie Catherine, Pierre, Geneviève, Simon, Alexander, Jean-Etienne.

Any help will be appreciate !

Welcome to the Brit-Gen forums
    Just an aside for those wanting to help.
    When Peter and Josette married in 1801 Peter is said to be about 40 years of age so that would give a birth year of c 1861 and Josette age about 25 years so born c 1876. (to be taken with a pinch of salt)
    They already had 5 children when they married and had declared this to the minister in the original image of the marriage.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

names and ages of the children mentioned on the marriage record
    Sophia age 7years born c 1794
    Peter Fraser age 6 born c 1795
    Jane age 4 born c 1797
    Malcom age 3 born c 1798
    Simon age 1 born c 1800

What is the source for Peter's parents being Alexander Fraser and Mary Hay ?

Christina
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Peter Fraser

Hello Christina,

Thank you for your reply. If you are looking at anyone doing genealogy in Canada, you will find that most of us cant go frther than Peter Fraser in Canada. We know where he got married, when and his children, but we can't trace his past. A lot of people supposed is father was Alexander Fraser and Mary Nay, but they are no source.

I am looking right now at the 78th Highlanders on Foot - thinking that maybe Alexander Fraser came to Canada with them and then decided to remain to Canada afterwards. I know there was one who came in 1757, fought in Quebec City under Wolfe and then stay in Quebec City.

But it is really vague again and read many books on the subject but nothing!

Thanks !

Francois

Hi Francois
    If you have no evidence at all for Peter's father being Alexander Fraser it seems to me you could be going down the wrong path looking in the 78th Highlanders of Foot.
    I have taken a look on ScotlandsPeople for the baptism record of a Peter Fraser born Inverness 1750-1765 and there are 5 results but none with a father Alexander or mother Mary Hay/Nay? Expanding the search to the whole of Scotland there are still no results with a father and mother of those names.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Peter Fraser

Thank you Christina,

I did that also...well, I am going to try to get more in Quebec about him, may be it will bring me to his father and Nova Scotia...who knows !!

Thanks anyway.

Francois

Default Peter (Pierre) Fraser

Quote Originally Posted by Francois_Fraser View Post
    From the other ocean, we are looking for Peter Fraser who came to Canada, we don't know when if he came with his father Alexander Fraser (1729-1799) and mother Mary Hay (1738-1789) (but again we are not sure). We can have everything in Canada, but we are not able to do the link with Scotland and Canada.

What we have is
    14 MAR 1801 - Married Josephte CHASSE at St. Andrews Presbyterian Church, Quebec City, Quebec, Canada
    Children: Malcolm, Sophie Catherine, Pierre, Geneviève, Simon, Alexander, Jean-Etienne.

Peter (Pierre) is my 5th great grandfather, his son Pierre my 4th. My understanding is that he was captain of a ship that was lost bringing supplies down the St. Lawrence to Quebec and was granted land along the St Lawrence return for the loss of his ship and his loyal service. My great-grandfather was born on Ile-Verte and moved out to Alberta as a young man and started a sash window and door company.

From what I can tell the whole Alexander Fraser/Mary Hay has no documentary evidence. I think someone may have just made that assumption on Ancestry or something like that and everyone started copying it from someone else's tree.

I did once find records of a Mary Fraser and an Alexander who used the alias of Fraser (I forget his given last name now) who lived at Beauly and he was a fisherman for the estate. That was the only record I found that made sense. It was on Scotland's People, but it was years ago before I started looking seriously- I should look for it properly again. Given the year Peter was born, it could be that documents were burned and destroyed. That was the story in my family- the documentary evidence to prove the line was destroyed. We were always told that they were direct descendants of the Lovat Frasers proper, but with all family stories one never knows whether that is true or not.

How are you related to Peter Fraser?

Welcome to the Brit-Gen forums hollieferrall

At the moment we seem to be having a problem where the contributors to a post are not receiving notification of any new posts to the thread so it is quite likely that Francois_Fraser will not be notified of your post. However members are receiving Private Messages (pm) so I have sent them a pm to alert them to your post,
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Info about Pierre Peter Pitre Fraser

Quote Originally Posted by Francois_Fraser View Post

What we have is

Hello,
    I am a descendant of Pierre Peter Pitre Fraser (my 4th great grandfather) who married Marie-Josephte Chasse 14 Mar 1801, and the son of Alexandre Fraser. The info I have on Alexandre is from familysearch.org. According to the site, he was (possibly) a Captain of Her Majesty's 84th Regiment. He was buried at Presbyterian St Andrew's Church, Quebec, Quebec, Canada on 22 Apr 1799 having died on the 19th. The site lists his wife as Mary Mckenzie, but there is no source. There is some excellent info on Peter Fraser, very detailed and interesting, on the familysearch.org website.
    I have found that it is very hard to trace the connection back to Scotland. One person recommended the "Highland Archive Centre" for obtaining information. At one point, familysearch listed Alexandre's parentage as "Simon the Fox" Fraser, and Margaret Grant; but on another site I read that Simon's son Alexander died in his early 30's and did not marry/have children, so I now think this is not accurate. Simon the Fox Fraser's son Alexander is thus not the same person as Alexandre Fraser, who is Pierre Peter's father. There are many family names used repeatedly, so mistakes do happen in tracing the lineage back. Also, the Inverness Fraser's fought for the Jacobite cause, and when that was lost in 1746, they were persecuted by the English. Many homesteads were burned. Eventually, the next generation redeemed the Fraser name by serving The Crown honorably. I hope this information provides some insights. Best regards.
    Last edited by dfraser59; 23-09-2021 at 3:25 AM. Reason: left out a word

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Are you the same Hollie on the Facebook Page ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast