Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Goulston. Mile end.??

Hi I'm looking for information on my great great grandfather and his father Edward.

My great great grandfather Henry Morris goulston born 1843/4 mile end Middlesex.

His father Edward Morris goulston born 1813/4 mile end Middlesex. He also lived in Bancroft cottage at some point.

The surname is a confusion to me as my DNA results show Ashkenazi Jewish and Henry was rumoured to have taught horseman ship to prince Ferdinand of Austria during the ottoman empire. Any information greatly appreciated
    Simon

Knowledgeable and helpful

I don't know about Austria at all but Henry married in 1873 to an Anna Cracknell 10th Feb in the parish church in Kensington & Chelsea St Andrew and St Phillip Kensal Green
    His father was Edward Morris Goulston a sealing wax manufacturer Henry is down as a Traveller
    He died in 1908 and was now a Licensed Victualler in Northampton

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums Simon
    I have deleted your other two threads on this same subject as duplicate threads can lead to frustration and confusion when people are searching for the same information.

The only other piece of information that you didn't specify you are looking for on this thread is -
    "I'm stuck on his father Edward Morris Goulston born 1813 in Middlesex. He also lived in Bancroft cottage.
    Does anybody know how I can find out more?
    I'm a member of my heritage but I'm still stuck lol. Any information greatly appreciated."

So as well as Henry's possible involvement with Prince Ferdinand you are also seeking to take th lineage further back.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Hi Christina.
    Thanks so much for the reply and information regarding Henry. He was the public house landlord of the lord Palmerston on Northampton market Square. He was also a 'bear' I think they were called. Similar to a freemason.
    I'd absolutely love any information regarding his father Edward if anybody knows anything?
    Many thanks
    Simon

I will take a closer look on the potential Jewish links tomorrow but as an initial response to the surname Goulston being Jewish here are entries from The Jewish Victorian. Genealogical information from the Jewish Newspapers 1871-80 transcribed and edited by Doreen Berger, 1999 Publisher Robert Boyd.
    These may or may not be relevant or related to you:
    Isaac Goulston Marriage 7.6. 1871 at the residence of the bride's parents 16 Wellclose Square to Sophia third daughter of Moss WOOLF
    Sarah Goulston Marriage 19.2.1873 at the Great Synagogue only daughter of the late Eleazer Goulston of Jane Street Commercial Road to Alfred ISAAC second son of Lyon MORRIS
    Louisa Esther Goulston Marriage 25.6.1879 at the Great Synagogue Hope Place Liverpool daughter of the late Mrs S and H Goulston, Elizabeth Street Liverpool to Louis Bernard Goodman

Numbers of my Anglo Jewish lines married 'out' of the Jewish faith and having spent two decades researching my lines I have learned to keep options open particularly the adoption and use of surnames as I have posted on this forum.
    Phillip

Ps I will check the Jewish Chronicle archives for the surname Goulston plus other sources

See JewishGen UK Data base 1851 Anglo Jews census data:
    ID 22246 Edward ( Eleazer) Morris GOULSTON 34 Jane Street from 1851-1870s watchmaker- his wife Frances? and child Manasah b 1842. Please take a close look at the other Goulston who are named by Petra Laidlaw in her 1851 data base. Petra has listed sources.
    See also Jewish Surnames in London Registered Insurance policies
    Henry Goulston Quill Manufacturer 9 Love Court Broad Place Middlesex 27.08. 1851

Note Death Harris Goulston 11.1.1862 at his residence 1 Hope Place Liverpool after a severe and protracted illness( formerly of Birmingham)aged 61 years deeply lamented by his bereaved widow and daughter.
    I will look further for more data on Edward aka Eleazer.
    Phillip

Note that many Anglo Jewish traders had more than one trade and when business failed or dropped off they switched occupations- my own 2x great grandfather Henry Hart was a tailor, house agent, surveyor, commercial agent, solicitor's managing clerk. Always look widely for surname origins and place of origin.
    Phillip

Phillip thankyou so much for that information! Edward aka eleazer was married to Frances I'm pretty sure of. I will recheck. If you could look into Edward aka eleazer some more I would be greatly appreciative! Many thanks. Simon

1841 census
    HO107 piece 713 book 3 folio 24 page 3
    Bancroft Cottage Mile End Old Tow, Tower hamlets, Stepney
    Edward Goulston 27 Black lead pencil maker
    Frances Goulston 25 Shopkeeper
    Both born in Middlesex county)
    Emma Partridge 13 female servant (not born in county)

1851 HO107 Piece 1548 Folio 354 Page 30
    Jane Street, Saint George, Tower Hamlets
    Edward Morris Goulston Head 37 Wax Maker Middlesex
    Frances Goulston Wife 38 Middlesex
    Manasah Goulston Son 9 Scholar Middlesex

There are two births c 1842 on the GRO index.
    Manassah Isaac Goulston mmn BARNETT June 1/4 1842 STEPNEY Vol 2 page 464
    and one with the mother's maiden name Emanuel registered in St George in June 1/4 1843. This one would match up with a marriage in Sept 1/4 1842 reg dist London where FreeBMD has the names John Goulston and Frances Emanuel. Vol 2 page 169. However the name John doesn't match with the Edward in the 1841 and 1842 censuses and Edward and frances were together in 1841 prior to the 1842 census. So is there a Frances marrid to an Edward Goulston and a Frances marrid to a John Goulston? need to check out the censuses.

I can't see a birth for a Henry Morris Goulston as yet.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Take a close look on Synagogue Scribes data base: Here is Edward aka Eleazer's Marriage and Burial:
    HSM 261 ( Hambro Synagogue) ELEAZER GOULSTON Hebrew name Eleazer known as Lazar June 6 1837 residence Newington Butts father's Hebrew name Mensha ( Manasseh) The Learned Man-spouse Frances BARNETT Hebrew name Fegela father's Hebrew name k/a Mr SAMSON

Burial HAMBURHL0346
    Eleazer Goulston 7 Jan 1870 Jane Street Commercial Road
    Burial HAMBURHL 0348
    Frances Goulson 22 Oct 1864 Jane Street Commercial Road

Nb There are numbers of Goulston surnames listed in the BMD and Burial records see Synagogue Scribes
    Phillip

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast