Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Christina the 1841 and 1851 census records you supplied are Edward goulston in question. Phillip I will look into the synagogue scribes you have mentioned thankyou. I had a feeling that Edward had mannah first then Henry with somebody else a year later. I think they were half brothers...

Yes it seems there are two Frances' who married a Goulston. Here is the Frances Emanuel who married John Goulston in 1842, in the 1851 census with her family

John Goulston Head 38 Sealing Wax Maker, Whitechapel, Middlesex
    Frances Goulston Wife 35 Portsea, Hampshire
    Isaac Goulston Son 7 Scholar St George, Middlesex,
    Elizabeth Emanuel Visitor Unmarried 8 Scholar Portsea, Hampshire, England
    William Turvey Lodger Married Male 22 1829 Segar Maker St George, Middlesex,
    Matilda Turvey Wife Married 19 Stepney, Middlesex,
    Robert Watson Lodger Married 26 Blacksmith St George, Middlesex
    Jane Watson Wife Married 25 Nuneaton, Warwickshire

John Goulston has died and Frances is a widow in 1861 and isaac (using his middle name again) is with her.
    In 1871 Frances still a widow and Isaac is still with her but appears to be using the first name John.
    I know these are not your family but it helps to know about them when tracking your lot - especially the name changes.
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

This is getting complicated lol. Edward Morris goulston was also a wax sealing manufacturer. Yet John goulston mentioned was wax sealing manufacturer too or am I missing something?

Take a close look at the 2 Free BMD Birth Records:
    Manaseh Isaac Goulston Stepney 2 464 June qtr 1842 and then Manassah Isaac Goulston June qtr 1843 St George in the East 2 107.

I need to check Death Index but 2 possibilities one Manassah I take to be Henry probable 2nd 1843 record with 1st child dying and 2nd child named after 1st- I have this exact naming process in my own line but also noted the John Goulston with son Isaac born circa 1843. It looks as if John and Edward maybe related and using the name Manasah after their deceased father- part of the Ashkenazi naming tradition. I would get a GRO Birth Certificate to identify who is who.
    Phillip

Quote Originally Posted by Simon1978 View Post
    This is getting complicated lol. Edward Morris goulston was also a wax sealing manufacturer. Yet John goulston mentioned was wax sealing manufacturer too or am I missing something?
    Yes they are both in the same trade and it is even more complicated because there is a Henry Goulston born c 1845 Bermondsey with his parents William and Elizabeth in the 1851 census. Thankfully William is a pork butcher but the point being that there are no registered births of any Henry Goulstons 1841 to 1846 so it looks as if the births either weren't registered or those male Goulstons born in the time period changed their first names to something else eg: Henry and Isaac/John

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

This is common practice regarding name changing for Jews and includes both 1st and last names.
    See also Synagogue Scribes HAMBURSYN 093 M Goulston Wed 4 Jan 1837 fathers Hebrew name Isaac H Nottingham Place Commercial Road husband of Elizabeth 016and also HAMBURHLO351 MENASHE GOULSTON Burial 14 Jan 1837 Nottingham Place Commercial Road

Are one of these the father of Edward aka Eleazer?

Phillip

Mr manasah came up on ancestry website as Edward goulston father and it was written that way. Mr manasah. You cannot understand how grateful I am for all the help you guys have given me! Also my DNA results show Ashkenazi Jewish aswell so it seems to be more specific now as the naming your child process ect. My brother wondered before if Henry changed his name too

I can't see Edward or Frances in the 1861 Census but note 1861 RG9 279 115 38 (Copyright TNA)
    5 Fenton Street St George in the East Middx
    Frances Goulston widow 48 Sealing wax maker b Portsea
    Isaac son u 18 watch finisher b St George Middx

The GRO Birth Index Records suggest that Henry and Isaac were named Manaseh but I have not checked for Isaac Goulston b 1842-43.

Phillip

Ps Will look further tomorrow

Thankyou!!

Noted in the Old Bailey Trials online Sarah Hill et al Theft 22 August 1842
    Witness Frances GOULSTON " I am the wife of John Goulston a Sealing wax maker in Penton Street Commercial Road"
    This appears to be the John/Frances/Isaac Goulston with Frances at 5 Fenton or is it Penton Street St George in the East in 1861 where Frances is a widow.

Eleazer Goulston with wife Frances died 1870 and previously posted. Are John and Eleazer aka Edward brothers?

Phillip

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast