Starting to feel at home

Default How reliable is this information?

Been looking for a Birth Cert for a John Harvey 17-03-1873 (taken from the 1939 register) in Lichfield, and had 3 to choose from, I am fairly confident (90%+) that I now have his mothers maiden name as Ferguson from other sources, however on FMP the three maiden names given for these three certs do not match, but I unsure where this information is transcribed from? The reason I ask is that one of the names is Fernyough which is not a million miles away from Ferguson...is it worth taking a punt or is this information reliable?

Thanks in advance

Growing old Disgracefully

Is he married on the 1938 Register If he is then look for his marriage cert it will have fathers name on it then look for father and mothers marriage cert then look for his birth cert

Growing old Disgracefully

Is this what you have taken you info from

John Harvey
    Marital Status - Widow
    Birth Date - 17 Mar 1873
    Residence Year - 1939
    Address - 109 Butts Rd.
    Residence Place - Walsall, Staffordshire, England
    Occupation - Gardener
    Schedule Number - 90

Enumeration District - OOAN
    Registration district - 370/1

In the same Household - Members - Name

Margaret Shaw
    Beatrice M Shaw
    Joseph C Shaw

Starting to feel at home

Yes thats the one, I already have John Harvey's Marriage Cert, and information on that combined with other information from the census makes me convinced that the marriage of his parents were Robert Harvey and Margaret Fergusson in 1872. There are two of the children on the 1891 census that have DOB's that match with the census where the mothers maiden name is Ferguson, so it all pieces together...I just can not locate the Birth Index for John Harvey.....unless it is either missing or is the one with the mothers maiden name as Fernyhough?

Starting to feel at home

The 1881 Census in Gentleshaw shows

Robert Harvey Aged 31
    Margaret 28
    John 8
    Thomas J 5
    Anne M 3
    Robert 1

The 1891 Census in Gentleshaw shows

Margaret Harvey 38 now widowed (which matches with John Harvey's wedding cert 1893 which shows his father as deceased)
    John 18
    Thomas J 15
    Annie 14
    Robert 12
    William 10
    Rebecca 8
    Maggie 6
    Mary J 3
    Albert 10 months

This is then supported by a Mary Jane Harvey and Thomas James Harvey who have birth indexes with a mothers maiden name of Ferguson and the birth years match, and then Albert, William and Robert who have birth indexes with a mothers maiden name of Fergusson...there is an Annie Maria but with no mothers maiden name given, but alas no John Harvey or Maggie Harvey?

Dundee10

Quote Originally Posted by saddlers View Post
    .... however on FMP the three maiden names given for these three certs do not match, but I unsure where this information is transcribed from? The reason I ask is that one of the names is Fernyough....
    From the GRO indexes:

HARVEY, JOHN
    Mother's maiden surname: FERNYOUGH
    GRO Reference: 1873 M Quarter in LICHFIELD Volume 06B Page 474

You can fill out the certificate order form by answering 'no' to the question asking if you have the reference number. You then just enter his surname and first name, place of birth (Lichfield), father Robert, mother Margaret (do not enter a maiden surname), date 01/01/1873. They will search two years either side (1871-1875) and if there is no entry matching your details then you will be refunded the cost.

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/c...app_select.asp

Starting to feel at home

Thanks for that I was not aware of that

Famous for offering help & advice

The birth also appears on the Staffordshire BMD site - https://www.staffordshirebmd.org.uk/

Here the mother's maiden name is spelled FERNEYHOUGH. The birth was registered in the sub-district of Rugeley, one of the ones in the Lichfield district.

Dundee10

Don't be too specific with your searches, just the surnames (similar sounding), sex and year.

HARVEY, MAGGIE
    Mmn FERGUSON
    GRO Reference: 1885 D Quarter in CANNOCK Volume 06B Page 481

HARVEY, ANNE MARIA
    Mmn FERGUSON
    GRO Reference: 1877 J Quarter in LICHFIELD Volume 06B Page 510

Rebecca is Basford reg district

@Saddlers Hi! You are on the right track! I am researching the Ferguson's and we will be connected. My ancestor is John Ferguson, who is Maggie Harvey's brother. He emigrated to South Africa in 1880. We should cross notes sometime as I'm sure we have a lot to share. I thought I would try and trace the Harvey side as I'm no closer to finding out where their father THOMAS FERGUSON died(although I was looking in Scotland, and now realise he may well have died in England). Look forward to hearing from you. If email is easier, ross-ferguson {at} hotmail.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by saddlers View Post
    The 1881 Census in Gentleshaw shows

Robert Harvey Aged 31
    Margaret 28
    John 8
    Thomas J 5
    Anne M 3
    Robert 1

The 1891 Census in Gentleshaw shows

Margaret Harvey 38 now widowed (which matches with John Harvey's wedding cert 1893 which shows his father as deceased)
    John 18
    Thomas J 15
    Annie 14
    Robert 12
    William 10
    Rebecca 8
    Maggie 6
    Mary J 3
    Albert 10 months

This is then supported by a Mary Jane Harvey and Thomas James Harvey who have birth indexes with a mothers maiden name of Ferguson and the birth years match, and then Albert, William and Robert who have birth indexes with a mothers maiden name of Fergusson...there is an Annie Maria but with no mothers maiden name given, but alas no John Harvey or Maggie Harvey?
    Last edited by Lesley Robertson; 15-08-2020 at 2:32 PM. Reason: email address deactivated - antispam