Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Zephaniah Smith of Cranford

Hello, this is my first time here.
    I am trying to find Zephaniah Smith of Cranford, possibly a Quaker but not definitely. I have a Quaker marriage certificate dated January 1722 in which ZS is described as 'late of Cranford in the County of Northampton Barber Chyrurgeon, deceased'. I do not know where he was born or when he died. His son is Thomas Smith of St Olave in Southwark, London, married Mary Gray.
    I'm sorry if this is too much detail. I don't know where to go from here.
    Many thanks.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I note my post has had 44 views but I've not had any replies. Does anyone in the Northamptonshire forum have any suggestions for what I can do next? Thanks again.

It can sometimes take weeks or longer for replies to come in, I’m afraid, especially with early searches. The trick is to check another line while you wait.
    Was the son also a surgeon/medic?

Growing old Disgracefully

Quote Originally Posted by JLouiseP View Post
    Hello, this is my first time here.
    I am trying to find Zephaniah Smith of Cranford, possibly a Quaker but not definitely. I have a Quaker marriage certificate dated January 1722 in which ZS is described as 'late of Cranford in the County of Northampton Barber Chyrurgeon, deceased'. I do not know where he was born or when he died. His son is Thomas Smith of St Olave in Southwark, London, married Mary Gray.
    I'm sorry if this is too much detail. I don't know where to go from here.
    Many thanks.
    So is the marriage cert you have for his son Thomas Smith marriage to Mary Grey ???

Do you have any dates apart from January 1722 what is Thomas's date of birth, was he born in st Olave.

Famous for offering help & advice

For Cranford, Northamptonshire archives would be a good place to try. Unfortunately their online catalogue seems out of action at the moment.
    Family search have a baptism of a Thos Smith son of Sarah in Cranford st John in 1694. As the 1722 wedding cert names his mother as Sarah that could be a possibility for your Thomas, but would suggest that he is illegitimate as no father is named.

Quakerism only began in the 1650s so although it is possible that Thomas was born a quaker it is likely that he did not. As you probably know quakers kept good records, not just of births , marriages and deaths but also lists of members and minute books etc. It may be worth looking at such records of Southwark quakers to see if you can find out more about Thomas. Either Friends House or the Quaker family history society could probably point you in the right direction.
    Looking at indexes of quaker bmds concerning a Zephaniah Smith most seem to be in Yorkshire and not early enough to be your Zephaniah. There is one marriage of a Zephaniah in 1719, father also Zephaniah which could be worth checking if only to rule him out as a poss brother to Thomas.

You could also check parish records for Cranford and nearby looking for Smith records in your time frame, particularly Zephaniah or Sarah.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    It can sometimes take weeks or longer for replies to come in, I’m afraid, especially with early searches. The trick is to check another line while you wait.
    Was the son also a surgeon/medic?
    Thank you for explaining, I'll be more patient in the future.
    Thomas Smith of the parish of St Olave in Southwark at the time of his marriage was a cordwainer.
    Louise

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Sandyhall View Post
    So is the marriage cert you have for his son Thomas Smith marriage to Mary Grey ???

Do you have any dates apart from January 1722 what is Thomas's date of birth, was he born in st Olave.
    Thomas Smith marries Mary Gray. Her father is Thomas Gray of Ratcliff, Stepney, Middx and he was a Writing Master. I have no other dates for Thomas Smith, except that he & Mary had a son, also Thomas, born in 1725 at Southwark.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

That's interesting, thank you. I will check that lead, although I don't have Family Search. On the marriage certificate it refers to Zephaniah and his wife Sarah.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast