Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default George Ashton of Kent (born around 1819)

I have hit a brick wall researching my ancestor George Ashton. What I know is:

Born between 17 March 1818 - 16 March 1819 in Kent, England (according to his birth certificate but this could be wrong and may be last place of residence). He died aged 76 on 16 March 1895 at age 76 - Christchurch, New Zealand.

His death certificate lists Kent, England as place of birth but does not provide a birth date, or his parents names.

I know he first came out to Australia on a Whaling Ship (as a Sea Merchant - mariner) 'Sussex' Barge in 1849ish, and by September 1850 he was employed by the Canterbury Association to help survey and set up Canterbury for the first settlers fleets. He lived in Little Akaloa, NZ for many years farming and married Charlotte Bracey (the Widow of John Bennett, pioneer of NZ) on 2 January 1856 when he was 37 years old.

Any insight on how I can find the link back to Kent, Uk would be greatly appreciated. Would love to know his parents names or at least an address or any record of him in England.

Thanks
    Danielle

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums Danielle
    Do you have George's marriage certificate? Any parents names on it?
    I have had a quick search on familysearch.org but without knowing which area in Kent he was from but there are too many to make a choice.
    If you have access to the 1841 census you could see how many of them there are and then compare them to the 1851 census. That would eliminate some. Of course that doesn't allow for spelling variations and a wider range for his birth date.
    if you don't have his marriage certificate that would be the next step with fingers crossed that he named his parents.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks so much for the super quick reply.

Unfortunately the marriage certificate from the early times in colonial New Zealand don’t mention the parents names. His death certificate refers to Ashton as the surname of the mother and father but not the first names. It does state that the father was a farmer.

I might have to do a process of elimination (as I see most George Ashton’s of Kent born around that time died in England).

Do you think it’s worth paying a professional to do some on the ground research? I know that can be very expensive! I’ve also submitted my DNA sample to see if I can find any clues with DNA matches

Thanks again for your quick reply!

Danielle

Hi
    Don't go down the road of paying a professional genealogist yet. Let's see what our members can find first.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

His death certificate lists Kent, England as place of birth
    I read it as HENDON, not Kent, but I maybe wrong. If Hendon, that would have been in Middlesex at the time, now Greater London.
    Alma

Loves to help with queries

It may possibly be Kenton, the first letter I read for a 'K' not an 'H'.

Quote Originally Posted by burt View Post
    It may possibly be Kenton, the first letter I read for a 'K' not an 'H'.
    I take your point, but the fourth letter isn't crossed.
    Alma

I think it is Kent. The habit with other some other words is to give a tail!

You could be right, Bert, I admit to not being the best at others handwriting.
    Alma

On Anc under Criminal Registers, a George Ashton, aged 22 is fined one shilling [1/-] for assault. Heard
    3rd Jan 1842. If a report could be found in newspapers....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast