Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Default Go back and check

This is such an obvious thing to do, but I wonder how many people do it.

Some of you may have started your family history more than twenty years ago, some only two or three years ago, but either way you may well have gaps or brickwalls. Even the last two years have seen so much extra information come online, so it's always worth re-checking the details you already have, to see if you can add to them. Check everything you possibly can - even down to FreeBMD.

I say this because I'm currently going through a burial register and finding people buried away from their own parish so I'm putting postems on FreeBMD. I usually manage to do the same with baptisms and marriages.

If the parish register entry is pre-civil registration then the details get posted in our Strays forum so it's always worth searching there for surnames. https://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/448-Strays

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Knowledgeable and helpful

I totally agree Pam, I became interested in Family History as an infant in the early 1950s at a time when most research was done by copying the original record, very few additional resources were available apart from a number of transcripts mainly for other parts of the country.
    As a result I used to check for additional resources every year but since the advent of the internet I check every few months for new resources but mainly for available digital copies of original records I have already viewed and transcribed to ensure I did not make a mistake in transcription. When I find relevant digital copies I download them to my personal database.

I also spend time searching historic newspapers for relevant entries.
    Cheers
    Guy
    As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.