Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    A fountain of knowledge

Default OBIT PLEASE FOR PETER HARRIS-MAYES

I would be grateful if someone would kindly help find an Obituary for a Peter John Harris-Mayes who died
    2013 in the IOM, believe lived in Jurby east. It seems to be a different system for obtaining info there.
    I have got as far as finding info as below but not the actual date of death.
    I am trying to help a friend trace her friends. with thanks Jill

Year Surname Name Age District Vol Page No Entry Usual Residence Notes
    2013 Harris-Mayes Peter John Douglas 20217 102

Growing old Disgracefully

Quote Originally Posted by gilian rowland View Post
    I would be grateful if someone would kindly help find an Obituary for a Peter John Harris-Mayes who died
    2013 in the IOM, believe lived in Jurby east. It seems to be a different system for obtaining info there.
    I have got as far as finding info as below but not the actual date of death.
    I am trying to help a friend trace her friends. with thanks Jill

Year Surname Name Age District Vol Page No Entry Usual Residence Notes
    2013 Harris-Mayes Peter John Douglas 20217 102
    What you have here is the reference to his death to buy his death Cert. from the GRO buy that and it will give you all details of his death ie when, where and why. Date of birth, date of death and what he died of plus who the informant was.

google Isle of Man Records Office for details you should be able to get a copy from them don't know the price ???

Growing old Disgracefully

This is the one I looked at you can order from them it cost £11.00 for copies of cert

Isle of Man Government - Public Record Office
    https://www.gov.im/pro

The Visiting the Isle of Man Public Record Office page provides information on our services, location and opening hours. The Public Records Act 1999 provides the basis for our objectives: Advice and assistance to bodies holding public records. Preservation and organisation of archives. Facilitation of appropriate public access to records and archives.

A fountain of knowledge

SANDYHALL

Thanks for your prompt reply. I am having a lot of problems logging in to B Gen and replied to you but it hasn't logged it.
    I'm having to type/post something time and time again!

Yes I appreciate I can order the death cert but it's more a question of hopefully finding general info for my friends and so I hope
    an Obit would help. I'm very appreciative for your info. Best wishes Jill.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

You're half right, Sandy. Those are obviously the death registration details, but the death was on the Isle of Man, so will be covered by their registration system not the GRO which applies only to England and Wales.
    https://www.gov.im/categories/births...-certificates/

For an obituary (not the same as a death certificate) you need local newspapers. I don't know how 'local' the IoM newspapers are (probably one covers the whole island). Over here libraries usually have the local newspapers, and it may well be the same over there. They would probably do a look-up for you, but would need to know the date of death. However helpful they might want to be I expect they would draw the line at trawling through possibly a year's worth of papers. Especially if it's a daily publication.

*Sandy found her mistake while I was s-l-o-w-l-y typing my reply.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

A fountain of knowledge

Thanks PAM

For at least a week now every time I type/post a message it doesn't accept it saying I'm not logged in.

Yes I spent several hours emailing libraries in the IOM yesterday. They don't keep newspapers and nor do they seemingly have
    a site to look up dates. I thought there might be a newspapersonline site but I'm no good at narrowing down dates.info. Jill

Is there a likelihood that his death could have been announced in the The Times or The Telegraph?
    I know you can access more recent copies of The Times (not The Times Digital Archive, which covers to about 1980-something if I remember correctly). That would give you the date of death at a probably cheaper cost than the death certificate.
    Local libraries over here might have access to the newer Times Archive as well as the old one.

Sorry Jill, cross-posted with you this time.

Pam

Um, if the IoM don't keep copies of their old newspapers I wonder if the British Library do.
    The papers are now kept at Boston Spa so have to be ordered-in to be read at the BL in London. Though perhaps you can go to Boston Spa if that's more convenient.

Depending how desperate your friend is to find an obit by going through possibly quite a few months of papers, it's worth asking the BL. Obviously you'll need to know the title(s) of any papers.

Pam

Knowledgeable and helpful

From Wiki:

Isle Of Man Newspapers publishes the Isle of Man's newspapers. They are the Isle of Man Examiner, the Isle of Man Courier and the Manx Independent. They are all weekly newspapers. Its website is www.iomtoday.co.im It also has a facebook page.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by elsinore View Post
    From Wiki:

Isle Of Man Newspapers publishes the Isle of Man's newspapers. They are the Isle of Man Examiner, the Isle of Man Courier and the Manx Independent. They are all weekly newspapers. Its website is www.iomtoday.co.im It also has a facebook page.

Peter

This could take a while, Jill, but -
    Go to website.
    Click on 'Family notices' in red banner across the top.
    From notice type, select 'all obits, death notices and memorials'
    In the date range box, click on the down arrow to get a dropdown list. Select date, and in the new box type 2013.
    To avoid any confusion with the hyphenated surname I put just Peter in the name box.
    Just scroll down the results to see if you're lucky.

Pam

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast