Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default My grandfather Thomas Audritt/Aldritt

My grandfather who was recorded as being named as Thomas Audritt on his birth certificate was born in December 1899 and he would have been just been old enough to have served in the first world war. The story he gave to my older cousin was that he didn’t go because he was colour blind but that seems a bit unlikely.

He had two older brothers who served - one William Henry Aldritt (Middlesex Regiment Regimental Number 61526 and Royal Hussars GS 79405? and also possibly 2nd battalion of the Rifle brigade Service number 9257) served in France and was invalided out - his service record exists. His other brother Henry David Audritt (R/22162 8th K.R.R) was a prisoner of war - no service record exists but he is there in the list of returning prisoners of war on 30/11/1918.

At the conclusion of the war on 24/11/1918 my grandparents married and the occupation given for my grandfather on the certificate was ’Soldier’. On 1/2/1919 a 7 month old child that my grandmother had out of wedlock died of TB- on the child’s death certificate my grandfather is named as 'Thomas Aldritt Number 376470 (the spelling of the surname is never consistent) Rifleman 1st London Regiment - a tent dresser'.

Searching through the medal rolls I have found an entry for a Thomas Alldritt regiment Number 44502 who went to France on 15/4/1915 with the RAMC (17a) - when my grandfather would have been 16. Is it possible that this could have been my grandfather? I believe that there were many under age soldiers. The name, however spelt, is very uncommon - I have only found two other people with the name of Thomas Alldritt/Thomas Aldritt/Thomas Audritt born between 1878 and 1900 both of who were in their 30s in 1915 - although that number increases to 5 if a middle name is added. But no middle name is added to the medal card for this Thomas Alldritt.

Is there any way of confirming this either way?

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums
    If you came to us from Forces War Records reading this will explain the connection.

I took a quick look on both ancestry and Findmypast and neither of them has a Medal card Index with number 376470 with a surname anything like Aldritt and variations.

How names were recorded when a person attested was decided by what information the soldier gave those recording it. My grandfather joined up under 4 different names between 1909 and 1919 and as you say many joined up when underage. So a middle name may be recorded or not.
    I wonder why your grandfather told his cousin he didn't serve because of colour blindness but then declared himself a soldier in 1918 and 1919. Maybe he joined late in the war when men were desperately needed.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi and thanks for the welcome.

No I didn't come from Forces War records - straight in from Google. I've been using ancestry.

The 376470 number is his post war service number. I believe under age soldiers were withdrawn from serving in about 1916 around the time of the introduction of conscription. Might he have received a new service number on being called up again if that had happened?

The Audritt/Aldritt thing is I guess related to illiteracy which I guess was common. The colour blindness thing clearly would not and did not prevent him from serving - although had he joined up under age (which I guess you think is unlikely based on this evidence) it may have been the reason why he might have been in an RAMC unit as opposed to a fighting unit.

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums
    If you came to us from Forces War Records reading this will explain the connection.

I took a quick look on both ancestry and Findmypast and neither of them has a Medal card Index with number 376470 with a surname anything like Aldritt and variations.

How names were recorded when a person attested was decided by what information the soldier gave those recording it. My grandfather joined up under 4 different names between 1909 and 1919 and as you say many joined up when underage. So a middle name may be recorded or not.
    I wonder why your grandfather told his cousin he didn't serve because of colour blindness but then declared himself a soldier in 1918 and 1919. maybe he joined late in the war whe men were desperately needed.
    Christina

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

HI

Nothing at NA UK either for that number -
    https://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ol=200&_hb=tna

2 Thomas Alldritt's - https://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ol=200&_hb=tna

Nothing that matches your details and without service records to show where joined and birth place, I can only sugest you keep searching, try local newspapers.
    It took me 10 years to confirm my Grandfather's MIC!

regards

Robert
    Remembering

My Father 1819170 Lance Bombardier Robert Simpson 39/14 L.A.A. R.A.

The 376470 number is his post war service number.

On 1/2/1919 a 7 month old child that my grandmother had out of wedlock died of TB- on the child’s death certificate my grandfather is named as 'Thomas Aldritt Number 376470
    Hi
    if this is the last time you have his service number it is not post war. WW1 ended 11 November 1918.
    It would make your research a lot easier if your grandfather served after 1920 as the MoD would still hold his records.

If he joined up again he would have received a different number and even if he was moved between regiments another number could/would have been issued. It was only later that a service man kept the same regimental number throughout his career.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Hi

It is also possible he joined up late in the war and did not serve overseas, hence no MIC.

regards

Robert
    Remembering

Hi

Here is a bit on Territorial renumbering - https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldi...antry-in-1917/

But it confuses me as I have no idea why he as that service number?

regards

Robert
    Remembering

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Thomas & Henry Audritt

Quote Originally Posted by clpws00 View Post
    My grandfather who was recorded as being named as Thomas Audritt on his birth certificate was born in December 1899 and he would have been just been old enough to have served in the first world war. The story he gave to my older cousin was that he didn’t go because he was colour blind but that seems a bit unlikely.

He had two older brothers who served - one William Henry Aldritt (Middlesex Regiment Regimental Number 61526 and Royal Hussars GS 79405? and also possibly 2nd battalion of the Rifle brigade Service number 9257) served in France and was invalided out - his service record exists. His other brother Henry David Audritt (R/22162 8th K.R.R) was a prisoner of war - no service record exists but he is there in the list of returning prisoners of war on 30/11/1918.

At the conclusion of the war on 24/11/1918 my grandparents married and the occupation given for my grandfather on the certificate was ’Soldier’. On 1/2/1919 a 7 month old child that my grandmother had out of wedlock died of TB- on the child’s death certificate my grandfather is named as 'Thomas Aldritt Number 376470 (the spelling of the surname is never consistent) Rifleman 1st London Regiment - a tent dresser'.

Searching through the medal rolls I have found an entry for a Thomas Alldritt regiment Number 44502 who went to France on 15/4/1915 with the RAMC (17a) - when my grandfather would have been 16. Is it possible that this could have been my grandfather? I believe that there were many under age soldiers. The name, however spelt, is very uncommon - I have only found two other people with the name of Thomas Alldritt/Thomas Aldritt/Thomas Audritt born between 1878 and 1900 both of who were in their 30s in 1915 - although that number increases to 5 if a middle name is added. But no middle name is added to the medal card for this Thomas Alldritt.

Is there any way of confirming this either way?
    Hello,
    Just come across your post on this site. My grandfather was Henry David Audritt, and I agree the spellings can be 'varied'. One interesting thing is I recall my Dad, HD's oldest son, saying his father was colour blind. I don't know if this is coincidence or if it is hereditary. I believe there was a family rift - as usual relating to money - and I'm not sure if my Dad saw much of his uncles and aunt.