Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Byrnes family from Londonderry, N Ireland

Hello, I am trying to locate the last resting place of Eva Jane Byrnes (nee O'Connell); her grand-daughter (now living in Lancashire) wishes to be 'reunited' with the Grandmother who brought her up but is suffering from dementia and cannot remember where her Grandmother was buried; have the birth certificate (15.07.1913, Londonderry) of Maud Catherine the daughter of Eva Jane and James Joseph Byrnes (occupation listed as Soldier). Any help would be gratefully received.

Famous for offering help & advice

according to the image on irishgenealogy.ie James Joseph Byrnes, aged 22, a drummer in the Royald Scots Fusiliers, married Eva Jane McCONNELL, aged 24, daughter of Charles McConnell - at Derry Cathedral, 15 October 1912.

do we know where and when James Joseph Byrnes died ? I'm having trouble locating deaths for either him or Eva.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi, Many thanks for your responses - no idea where either James Joseph or Eva are buried; it is this that is the crux of the enquiry - their Grand-daughter was brought up by Eva and she wants her ashes to be 'with' her Grandmother! Because James J was in the army he could be buried anywhere, just keeping fingers crossed.

James Joseph has an army attestation record on FindMyPast, dated 1905, which gives his mother's name as Bridget and brothers Thomas, William, Charlie and Walter. It also has father's name Patrick, crossed out. I think the father's name on the marriage record was Joseph.

I am assuming that Eva would have died as Eva Byrnes, not having remarried at any stage ?

if I'm understanding the relationships correctly, do we know where the granddaughter, who was brought up by Eva, was born ? i.e. the general locality ?

you've posted on the Lancashire forum. If that's a hint, there's a death record for an Eva Byrnes, 1951, aged 61, district Newton Le Willows, Lancashire volume 10F page 10. From the marriage record I would have expected her to be born about 1888.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you, again, for your response. The grand-daughter was born in Londonderry, we have her birth certificate; however, she now has dementia and cannot remember where her grandmother lived (which is where she was brought up). The name of Portrush has been brought up in one of the lucid conversations but not sure of the importance.